What next for Construct 2?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:33 pm

I've run polls along these lines before, but this time I just want to ask generally as an open question. What is the most important thing you think Construct 2 should get next? Obviously we have a lot of features and things to do in the long run, but we can't do them all at once. So what is the one you miss most or think is most crucial?

If you've used Classic, which features are most painful to get by without? If you've used a different tool before, what do you miss most?

My own personal todo list is looking a bit like this at the moment:
- Hotspot & image points for sprites
- Collision polygons so collisions are a bit better than bounding-box
- Families (will take a long time)
- Physics (not sure if Zack0Wack0 was working on this?)
- Support for the Chrome or Mozilla web app stores - it looks like you can even charge for web apps, so see if that's something that can be added.
- Improved audio engine using Web Audio API (which currently only Chrome supports I think)
- Good support for tilemaps

Let me know what you think is the most important, and I'll get to work on it - I'm trying to get things done in order of importance! If there's disagreement I'll run a poll, consider this a sort of nominations stage.Ashley2011-08-26 15:35:03
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:52 pm

INB4 EXE EXPORTER! :D

I agree with all of these stuff!
I wouldn't vote on Physics and (Collision Polygons), and I do prefer Hotspot & Image Points over the rest of them!

Personally, here's my list of things:
1- Simple "fill color" on the image editor:
I usually prototype with rectangles and right now my workaround is to have 4-5 full color images of 256x256 where I can import and resize the sprite... Would be nice to just pick a color and fill the sprite with it.

2- Function object (maybe a System option instead of a component?)
This is one of my favourite objects in Construct. With it I'm able to create modular events and schedule them so I can create a chain of events that can be repeated for tons of things.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:04 pm

I'd really like to see a multiplayer object. I know there are more important things, but you asked :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:32 pm

I hope you don't mind if I decompose your post, I think its better if I do it this way
[QUOTE=Ashley]Hotspot & image points for sprites[/QUOTE]
Yep. We need those urgently, especially if image points are unlimited. Also, a way to call "imagepoint<i>" via expressions would be nice.
[QUOTE=Ashley]Collision polygons so collisions are a bit better than bounding-box[/QUOTE]
Not really needed right now, most games can get by with collision rectangles or invisible detectors. The kind of game that would benefit the most from collision polygons takes more time to make (in my opinion) and would need a lot of features that C2 still doesn't have
[QUOTE=Ashley]Families (will take a long time)[/QUOTE]
Definitely needed
[QUOTE=Ashley]Physics (not sure if Zack0Wack0 was working on this?)[/QUOTE]
If there's a chance he's working on it, it's better not to do it. Let the community work on it.
[QUOTE=Ashley]Support for the Chrome or Mozilla web app stores - it looks like you can even charge for web apps, so see if that's something that can be added.[/QUOTE]
Does that bring a lot of revenue? I guess the community can code plugins that work with those - besides, it's not urgent
[QUOTE=Ashley]Improved audio engine using Web Audio API (which currently only Chrome supports I think)[/QUOTE]
Let browsers mature? I don't know anything about audio APIs, so feel free to disregard my opinion here.
[QUOTE=Ashley]Good support for tilemaps[/QUOTE]
We're definitely going to need those.

[QUOTE=gammabeam]Simple "fill color" on the image editor[/QUOTE]
Agreed, especially for quick recolors and knocking out transparency.
Also, I'd add a "rotate 90 clockwise" tool there too, as most top-down sprites are drawn facing up, not to the right (as construct 2 likes).Fimbul2011-08-26 17:10:40
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:54 pm

My top 3 choices would be:
1. Families
2. Hotspots & image points
3. Good support for tilemaps

All the other things, while really cool in their own right, feel far less important than the first 2 choices, and the 3rd one is just something that's been asked for by lots of folks on Construct Classic.

Also, is there a "For Each Object (Ordered)" loop in Construct 2 yet? Maybe throw that one in their if it isn't.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:59 pm

I really miss shader support, but I know that WebGL is a ways off.

Let's definitely get those hotspots and image points up and running. I also have to agree with Families. I imagine a lot of people still using CC are waiting until they can replicate their work in C2 before taking the plunge.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Can we get the image editor next? It's really annoying to have to go back into your gfx program just to trim off a few unwanted pixels or make the background of a sprite transparent. Other than that, hotspots would be nice.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:23 pm

In order of importance:

Hotspots
Families
Functions

Though that fill with color would be quite handy, as I tend to use squares as well.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 pm

[QUOTE=Fimbul] Not really needed right now, most games can get by with collision rectangles or invisible detectors. The kind of game that would benefit the most from collision polygons takes more time to make (in my opinion) and would need a lot of features that C2 still doesn't have[/QUOTE]

Highly disagreed. Right now, as there isn't such a "fine" collision detection, we are designing projects with this limitation in mind and tell ourselves "huh, I can do this in bounding box, no big deal, I'll stylize the sprites".
Bring the polygon collision up it will help a lot in about any kind of projects.

Also, I don't see any "load texture event" (instead of load textures at startup of app) in the todo list.
Did I missed it in r51 and is already doable ?

I would like also a "load texture to frame". This way I could set the texture from an url (gravatar anyone ? ^^) and have "custom" pictures in my app.
An extensible amount of frames (on runtime) for the sprite object, in this same train of thought, would be nice too. It was a "limitation" from CC, could it be workedaround in C2 ?

Else as the others: image points/hotspots , families, function (even if function can be pretty much replaced by groups).

+ Z order as Newt will say later in this topic.
Z order would be greatly appreciated. Especially for the users of the free edition, I think.Kyatric2011-08-27 02:57:46
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Families
Hotspots
Tile Map Tools (Take a look at UniTile for unity for some ideas http://www.vimeo.com/18505893)
Functions

EXE Exporter... I don't think this is really super important at this time but I'm just putting it out there.

Edit : Changed things around a little.danny2011-08-27 01:59:54
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General