What payment option would you like to see for Construct 3?

Post » Sat May 06, 2017 11:15 am

Bad Wolf wrote:I tell you, most of those complainers and moaners want it all for free.

What utter rubbish.

I am a huge fan of C2 (even though I don't use the forums much) and I will not pay RENTAL for software, but no.. of course I don't want it for free, c'mon, how can you think such a silly thing.

I do not want it for free and would never expect to get it free, I do want a one time single price though. I do not and will not rent software. if the one time price was too high for me right now, I'd just save my money and get it as soon as I could afford it. be that in days, weeks or even months from now. But a sub, no. it's against my principles to pay a subscription and I would rather simply move to other software.

Just don't say "non-subbers" want it free, that is an utter lie.
B

Post » Sat May 06, 2017 5:14 pm

I'll vote for a DLC model.

A low-cost, annual (or monthly) subscription model for the base engine, which allows updates and bug fixes as long as your subscribed. If your subscription stops, your updates and bug fixes stop. The base engine includes whatever Scirra deems necessary to create many types of games. It also could include free publishing to the Scirra Arcade, to encourage users to publish and make more complex games, while always adding new content / news to the arcade for Scirra's marketing benefit.

Everything beyond the base engine is DLC, which you can subscribe to the same way: monthly or yearly. As long as you're subscribed, you get updates and bug fixes. This includes everything from exporters to cloud servers to new features to features that require constant work (e.g. multiplayer).

I understand there are billing difficulties, but this is the only setup I can imagine that accounts for the three types of users: educational, hobbyist, and professional. It allows everyone to support commensurate to their usage of Construct, allowing for a fair exchange. It also encourages users to evolve from student to hobbyist, and hobbyist to professional, which in turn, increases the amount of financial investment they make in Construct.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 06, 2017 6:04 pm

EasyPolls.net can easily be manipulated. I voted twice. I could vote more if I wanted.

Besides, we already took a poll in an earlier thread that's now locked and a significant majority dislikes subscriptions. What these polls don't show is that Ashley is 100% against a one time payment option, which makes the most popular option in this poll not valid. If Ashley changes his mind on a one time payment option, I will quit my job in marketing. It simply won't happen.
B
S

Post » Sat May 06, 2017 7:06 pm

I vote for all options that are comfortable and easy for the developers and users fairly and equally.

Id say one off payment would always be nice but not with a huge price tag
id say a yearly subscription of small amount would be good enough if not better for scirra
id say a monthly subscription will just help their userbase alittle more and satisfy some of the airy heads
id say a DLC model is a unlikely idea but if the price is a lot cheaper 5-10 pound per dlc update every say 1 year and the aesthetic were a lot greater maybe

The best method would be to let people decide how much they want to pay within fair bothways limits and within fair both ways timeframes
and provide decent rewards that don't effect the user experience negatively but effects it positively and then not reward gating them apart
from the initial subscription just giving them free digital stuff
that is always evolving and getting better they should be more like very productive , fun , aesthetically pleasing plugins,etc and
deeper behind the scenes stuff then keep evolving and branching out from their
without burdening others in the process.

That result could possibly lead to a smaller income of say maybe up to a million dollars or pounds whatever your currency is more or less
but a much more consistent and stable userbase and a lot more passion and activity
then you can just charge a small one off price again every significant number version
Construct 4 , Construct 5 aslong as it's worth the upgrade just for that extra income and I don't think many people would
be pissed off with paying for alittle work right ?

Rewarding your users in evolving intelligent not going to steal your money intentionally ways is always the better way slower but fast in the longrun
it's not badly captalistic because we are paying you for the work in return we are getting a piece of software and free stuff.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Bad Wolf wrote:Sadly this kind of conversations keep showing up. I do not understand all the negativity around the subscription model.

I'm one the people who can't afford to pay for a subscription model so I understand the negativity but I don't understand why they keep talking about this to no end. The devs have already decided months ago.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 06, 2017 8:22 pm

@MPPLantOfficial,

To be honest, I regret that second sentence because it was not really what I meant.

I can find myself completely in what you wrote in your last reply. Your choice of words, was much better than mine. I appreciate your remark and want to apologize for the very negative meaning I gave on that sentence.

It was my mistake.

Chris
B
S

Post » Sat May 06, 2017 10:59 pm

pay subscription to get updates and bug fixes - yes
pay subscription in order to gain limited time access to the software itself - nope

its pretty darn simple :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 08, 2017 3:55 am

Subscription for updates is very open to abuse. Let's say one user on yearly subscription gets his 12 updates (1 a month), and user 2 who hasn't subbed in the last 12 months, pays 1 month sub and grabs the latest version then unsubs again. Getting the same end result as guy 1 but not really paying enough to support further development
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 08, 2017 8:09 am

AuShadow wrote:Subscription for updates is very open to abuse. Let's say one user on yearly subscription gets his 12 updates (1 a month), and user 2 who hasn't subbed in the last 12 months, pays 1 month sub and grabs the latest version then unsubs again. Getting the same end result as guy 1 but not really paying enough to support further development

In that case the yearly subscription would be the only sensible idea. I think pirated copies could pose more of a problem. But Scirra seemed to take of this issue with C2 quite efficiently, so I think they could do it as well with C3.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 08, 2017 10:52 am

I think it's pretty obvious if you ask a question which amounts to "do you want to pay more or less?" people are going to click the "less" option. Or if you ask "what other payment models should Scirra use?" the answer will be "the one I hardly have to pay anything at all". The business has to also at least survive, and ideally be able to keep improving the product.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion