What payment option would you like to see for Construct 3?

Post » Fri May 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Tom wrote:
OddConfection wrote:We can't do that with the online version of C3, since Scirra want to maintain a single version which is fair enough, hence my proposal to allow edit access with the standalone version.

This severely complicates support. If someone on a 6 month old version complains about a bug - what do we do? Or, Chrome introduce a breaking change. We have to go back and update every single version. This quickly becomes a maintenance nightmare. We prefer to just have everyone on the latest and greatest version.

No - It simplifies support.

Subscription equals updates, new features and bug fixes - in other words ongoing support. One your sub runs out you get to keep a standalone version. You don't get updates period. If you find a bug then re-subscribe.

You even loose forum support with some subs-models out there. EG members only forums. Knowledge base for everyone

Tom, if this was the nature of your sub model I would pay more for it.
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 7:19 am

agree with @michael, it would simplify support. Maybe even possible to add a nag screen to, standalone if unsubscribed?

-You are using an outdateted version, click "here" to resubscribe ,and get access to latest updates, and all features.

I still don't get why people are still,driving this agenda. It's like they already set their mind that they wouldn't pay again in a year, but gladly continue to use the softwre, until they feel like it's time to upgrade...

If I was Scirra I wouldn't consider it unless I could make sure the limitations were severe enough.

* Pre subscription customer. Access to limited online 50 event online version.

* Subscription customer. full access. Ability to download standalone version.

* Post subscription customer. Full editing capabilities in Standalone version, but no export options at all. Not even html. Only preview option.

I do see a few major exploit possibilities here:

*Latest standalone version could probably always be found online, somewhere else. Since every subscriber would have access to it. You would probably need an account status check here. If someone using a standalone version later than they should be allowed all access should be blocked, or limited to 50 events.

*Same Standalone version installed on many machines in a team, but only one person need a valid subscription with export option. Big loss in business.

*People could start offering export services to standalone (post subscription) users, who, pretty much has full software but without export.

*People spending months and years to create full games but only pay when they are done, and need to export?

I don't think that a standalone version with full edit capabilities should be a post subscription benefit, unless you can make sure you can severely limit it, and have the proper security measures to not be exploited.

Using a standalone version: you should have to log in to use it... a check if you are entitled to use this release, according to, your latest subscription info, if not you would be limited to 50 events like other free users.

The ammount of work just to accommodate people who clearly don't want to pay more than once, I would rather have the devs spend on new features, for people who don't mind playing. And I don't think that people without an active subscription should be able to work on their 50+ event projects at all.

Don't buy in to it Scirra. Don't spend time and energy to accommodate people who clearly don't have any intention to continue to subscribe after the first year. They want a feature that will allow, them to create full games without paying, and only pay when they need need to export. (Unless they send the c3p to someone with a valid subscription and askmthem to export it)

I just see soo many warning signs here..... Maybe they don't have bad intentions, but the possibilities for exploits just shot through the roof. I would rather have the devs focus on making a good software, and awesome features, than working on security measures and accommodating non subscribers, so, they can work on their stuff without a license?

If they threaten with "i'll go somewhere else if I can't edit my games without paying" then so be it, you're not losing any valuable business, as they clearly stated, they don't want to continue subscribing, but be able to use the software, past the subscription.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 8:57 am

Tom wrote:We hear you loud and clear RE monthly option. Right now as someone else guessed we're too close to change anything. We've had discussions in the office which we're all quite positive about where once you've paid for your first year you can then pay monthly.

Again, this is only internal discussions at the moment, and there's no rush to implement this as we've got a lot of other things to be getting on with and if we did implement it it would take a year before anyone could take advantage of it anyway.

Perfect and thanks!
Finally!

Happy to rent now!

For the record:
What will retain me more than game jams and examples are:

More behaviours
More plugins
Better / more features
Better performance
More export options
Advertising integration etc.
Don't waste time on examples etc. Please.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 10:37 am

Tom wrote:We were surprised when we looked at our data at how many impulse purchases we see for Construct 2 (people who seem to buy and only use for a short period of time).

No, the real way to finish that sentence is: ...and we'd love to find an infailable method of stamping out this suprisingly large proportion of our customers; subscription was the answer.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Zebbi wrote:
Tom wrote:We were surprised when we looked at our data at how many impulse purchases we see for Construct 2 (people who seem to buy and only use for a short period of time).

No, the real way to finish that sentence is: ...and we'd love to find an infailable method of stamping out this suprisingly large proportion of our customers; subscription was the answer.

What do you mean? I don't understand.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 3:24 pm

I think he just means that the impulse buying crowd aren't going to be enticed by a rental system so you'll likely lose all of those sales. People impulse buy because it gives them a buzz and makes them feel good for a bit. You don't hear about impulse renting because people simply don't do it.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/consumer-behavior/201303/five-reasons-we-impulse-buy
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks Tom, that is good to hear that there are 3 dedicated to developing the tool.
As for the impulse data- do you have data about individuals that leave for several months, like 6 months, and then return?
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 4:43 pm

signaljacker wrote:I think he just means that the impulse buying crowd aren't going to be enticed by a rental system so you'll likely lose all of those sales. People impulse buy because it gives them a buzz and makes them feel good for a bit. You don't hear about impulse renting because people simply don't do it.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/consumer-behavior/201303/five-reasons-we-impulse-buy

I didn't read the article, but there's a simple reason people don't impulse rent/subscribe. The consequences last much longer. Subscriptions encourage people to think long term and consider the value of the product. All these small gimmick ideas they are coming up with (free assets, templates, game jams, etc.) won't work nearly as well to sell a subscription model. Subscription model gives all the security to the company and takes it all away from the consumer. There needs to be balance...

I don't understand why Tom keeps inviting all this dialog when Ashley is just going to shut him down. I grow tired of the mixed messages. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence.
Last edited by Moot on Sat May 13, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 4:52 pm

signaljacker wrote:I think he just means that the impulse buying crowd aren't going to be enticed by a rental system so you'll likely lose all of those sales. People impulse buy because it gives them a buzz and makes them feel good for a bit. You don't hear about impulse renting because people simply don't do it.

Well, the yearly subscription price is much smaller than the C2 license. That fits the impulse buyer profile.
The ability to not resubscribe even more so.
That coupled with the availability of the editor makes for a very strong impulse buying presence.
Imagine what would happen with a monthly option.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 13, 2017 5:16 pm

newt wrote:Imagine what would happen with a monthly option.

Exactly. You make it easier for people to buy your product and you increase the likelihood that they will. They seem to really want to keep things simple, but running a business is never simple. It's complicated. But, it's less complicated when you have happy customers. :D
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion