What payment option would you like to see for Construct 3?

Post » Thu May 18, 2017 6:44 am

Why does everyone think construct is worth $100 a year? Sole credential being a game the creator had to abandon due to an awful runtime and 0 chance of platform ports Scirra promised were built-in (Last Penelope).
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 am

Zebbi wrote:Why does everyone think construct is worth $100 a year? Sole credential being a game the creator had to abandon due to an awful runtime and 0 chance of platform ports Scirra promised were built-in (Last Penelope).

There have been other threads to cover this. To many it is a creative tool that people enjoy using. If you are an artist, there is a good chance that you spend more than $100/year on art supplies. If you play sports, there is a good chance that you spend WAY more than $100/year to join a club or attend games. If you love watching movies, chances are you spend more than $100/year watching Netflix, Hulu, and going to theaters. If you love to eat out, chances are you spend more than $100/year at restaurants.

For me, I am willing to support Scirra partly because I love to tinker in Construct, and partially because it is financially self-sustaining. I am very lucky in this regard, as I have been able to sell my creations and (partially) offset the cost of the time I spend. Most of my colleagues don't make any income from their hobbies -- I live in Chicago, and there are several members of my department who have spent several thousand dollars for tickets to watch the Chicago Cubs play baseball a few times a year. Watching the Cubs play is not how I would choose to spend money, but they get such great joy from the experience that it I understand why they would do it.

If I used Construct 2 purely for financial gain and not because I enjoyed it, I might stop using it and move on to other activities. I tried that approach, but keep coming back to Construct 2 because I would rather spend thousands of hours doing something I enjoy rather than something that is going to make me 50% more money for the time I spend.
www.simbucket.com - HTML5 Science Simulations / https://www.airconsole.com/#!play=com.n ... obotrumble - Robot Rumble on AirConsole
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 18, 2017 4:57 pm

signaljacker wrote:Even if C3's subscription was $1 a year I would still fight hard to change it.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

If it was only a dollar a year, you would probably pay less than $80 on the software over your lifetime and wouldn't that be as good as owning it? That would be an insanely better deal than just buying it out right for $500 or whatever price you mentioned before. I think you're so fixated on this one aspect that it's clouding your judgment.

$100 a year really isn't that expensive either. It only amounts to $8.25 a month to subscribe. That's absurdly cheap as far as subscriptions go. I pay close to 3 times that for HBO.

@everyone

So how does the full version of C3 compare to C2? Is it the same or better? Should I wait to subscribe?
B
S

Post » Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Moot wrote:So how does the full version of C3 compare to C2? Is it the same or better? Should I wait to subscribe?

C3 is an amazing tour-de-force of browser programming. I have used it to sketch out a few ideas, and it works very similarly to C2. Everything is super-fast, and it runs on my mac.

I don't like the way saving and export works -- I am a dropbox subscriber, and not being able to export directly to the public Dropbox folder I use for testing is a pain. The current export option requires export -> save .zip to hard drive -> move to dropbox -> unzip -> test on server. Under C2, this all occurred in a single step.

Although C3 has the potential to be better than C2 in the long run, I can't use C3 for either of my current projects, which both rely on a plugin that will probably never be ported to C3. I am really struggling with whether or not I should subscribe, even though I know I will be using C2 almost exclusively over the next 12 months.
www.simbucket.com - HTML5 Science Simulations / https://www.airconsole.com/#!play=com.n ... obotrumble - Robot Rumble on AirConsole
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Moot wrote:
signaljacker wrote:Even if C3's subscription was $1 a year I would still fight hard to change it.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

If it was only a dollar a year, you would probably pay less than $80 on the software over your lifetime and wouldn't that be as good as owning it? That would be an insanely better deal than just buying it out right for $500 or whatever price you mentioned before. I think you're so fixated on this one aspect that it's clouding your judgment.

$100 a year really isn't that expensive either. It only amounts to $8.25 a month to subscribe. That's absurdly cheap as far as subscriptions go. I pay close to 3 times that for HBO.

@everyone

So how does the full version of C3 compare to C2? Is it the same or better? Should I wait to subscribe?

I feel you may have missed my point, price is not the issue so I'm not sure why you're discussing it in relation to my argument. I just used that example to illustrate that even at a ridiculous price of $1 I would still be wary of using C3 long term due to the lockout. I would happily pay $200 a year sub if the model was better but would fight to change it even if it was as low as a dollar in its current state. The issue is perpetual access to one's own work, not price.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 pm

You have access to it, in perpetuity.
I have access to psd files that I can't do much with since I don't choose to use Photoshop.
However, I can open those files in other software.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 19, 2017 12:22 am

Having access to the assets is a different thing though. With your PSD example, at the moment there is alternative software to Photoshop with full PSD compatibility (or at least very close to) so it's not a problem. You won't be able to do that with an entire game. If Scirra got bought out by a big company and they took the guts of C3 for another project and then cancelled C3 no one would be able to edit their projects. That's an extreme example, but a valid one as stuff like that happens all the time.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 19, 2017 12:37 am

Same could be said for any engine.

If.
If doesn't get anything done.
If doesn't even start.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 19, 2017 12:54 am

newt wrote:Same could be said for any engine.

If.
If doesn't get anything done.
If doesn't even start.

Any other engine without a lockout won't have that problem.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm still on a fence whether I subscribe or not. I really like C3 but I don't like the subscription model and the poor export options. I might just invest that same money in a professional tutorial for another game engine, like this... And that's kind of future proof path.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion