What's a good program to make 2.5d graphics?

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • What's a good program where I can do 2.5d graphics?

• blender? maya? do you know even what 2.5D stands for?

if you're aiming for isometry - that means exporting your models + animations under 45° angle from x and z axis. you get a visual that "looks like 3D" but it's actually 2D. a lot of playing with z-ordering though should be applied.

and real 2.5D - it means that your sprites are 2D, and your objects (land, buildings etc..) 3D, real objects, and that is supported via Q3D plugin, otherwise it is not.

• 100% 3D max

You must make 3d models then render it in isometric camera

• yeah 3d max is also good. maya and 3d max. you can do it with blender which is free, but takes more time to make better shapes and stuff because of less features.

• dbl post

• yeah 3d max is also good. maya and 3d max. you can do it with blender which is free, but takes more time to make better shapes and stuff because of less features.

Thats not accurate information at all.

Blender has a ton of features - arguably more - than Max and Maya, Sculpting built in, Auto rigging built in, Toon shaders, built in.

Not to mention it's free and runs on almost any machine.

Other options are Cinema4D and Lightwave.

But I'll go Blender. TONS of tutorials etc.

Go poke around here

http://blenderartists.org/forum/

and here

https://cgcookie.com/courses/?fwp_division=blender

or just search Blender tutorials on youtube.

You could even do your cutscenes in there as a 2.5d vid.

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • all 3 are good, but from what i've heard maya is supposedly easier, and 3ds max is dropping animation support from 2016 on.

in the end i think it's not about the software really today, it's more about the artist / user who defines / creates the work.

• I used Modo for my game, which is pre-rendered 3d.

• 3Ds max is expensive but easier to use, Maya is great but difficult to use. Blender is amazing and tons of great features and the only reason I don't use it at work its because is not compatible with the rest of our art pipeline.

• all 3 are good, but from what i've heard maya is supposedly easier, and 3ds max is dropping animation support from 2016 on.

in the end i think it's not about the software really today, it's more about the artist / user who defines / creates the work.

3Ds max is expensive but easier to use, Maya is great but difficult to use. Blender is amazing and tons of great features and the only reason I don't use it at work its because is not compatible with the rest of our art pipeline.

Blender is free while the others cost thousands of dollars. Apart from that, they're about as powerful as each other and about as easy (or hard) to learn. I suspect which one you prefer tends to boil down to which one you learned to use first, as they're all quirky in their own way.

Just wondering where you read that 3dsmax is dropping Animation support?

• somewhere on their forums. probably just a rumor, the person claimed it's about to be set in 2016 version of the software.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • i dont disagree blender and 3d max are good, but as a newbie artists in 3d modeling i prefer cinema4d its easy to use... straight forward same command keys as Photoshop runs fast on any rig even if its old... and has the power Maya has... minus some render parts... but as well as blender and other 3d modeling software they got their own plugins and effects i suggest take a look at it.. and oh not to mention cinema4d key frame system is so easy to work with and skeletal animation :X i purely recommend it for people new to 3d modeling.(2.5 d is still made in 3d unless u want to spend 1000 hours on developing each frame and angle)

• 2d has a few extra constraints that you have to take into consideration.

You can't shovel in hundreds of frames and expect the engine to perform flawlessly.

8 frames for 16 angles for each animation as a low example.

Walk, run, idle, attack, bla, blah, you get the idea.

Btw it doesn't have to be 3d to be 2.5d.

Subscribe to Construct videos now
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)