What size for mobile phone development?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:34 am

I've never really thought about mobile development much and I don't know the screen sizes (guess what!? I don't even have a mobile phone! Such heretic!)

So what are the popular screen resolution sizes to develop in?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:00 am

Callan S wrote:I've never really thought about mobile development much and I don't know the screen sizes (guess what!? I don't even have a mobile phone! Such heretic!)

So what are the popular screen resolution sizes to develop in?

To achieve all phone support : 640px360p
Not sure but medium grade quality: 854x480
To achieve HD Gameplay but only for Mobile with HD Specs. : 1280px720p
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Hello,

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question. I'm not knowledgeable about phones at all, you see.

If, based on the optimal dimensions in the answer above, I create a game with a windows size 1280 * 720, how will that display on a medium grade quality (854 * 480) phone? Will it resize to the screen or will the game scroll off the phone's screen? Should I create three versions of my game to cover all eventualities?

Many thanks in advance

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:22 pm

BigFrank wrote:Hello,

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question. I'm not knowledgeable about phones at all, you see.

If, based on the optimal dimensions in the answer above, I create a game with a windows size 1280 * 720, how will that display on a medium grade quality (854 * 480) phone? Will it resize to the screen or will the game scroll off the phone's screen? Should I create three versions of my game to cover all eventualities?

Many thanks in advance

It will look the way it is but it depends on your Fullscreen Mode. But if you are asking whether it will adjust or not, It will adjust so do not worry about the display. I would be worried about the performance of adding a HD (1280p*720p) game to a smaller scale because it tends to become slower and in worst case in scenario, it will not run, show seams between sprites or tiles and show blackscreen(If it doesn't have WebGL support). But it is unlikely if the Phone is (854*480) but it's specs is fine and most importantly it includes (Webgl support).
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:17 pm

There are a lot of different screen sizes and a few solutions
My favorite approach is to put everything into a safe zone (scale outer), but that only works for certain kind of games.
Most important if you can't go for safe zone you have to decide wich aspect ratio.

Important to read
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/73/sup ... reen-sizes
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1126/m ... le-devices

Here are some numbers you have to know.

Iphone 4 960x640 3:2 (this is the ideal starting point, becaue smallest for safezone)
Iphone 5 1136x640 16:9
Ipad 1024x768 4:3
the real 16:9 HD 1280x720 amd 1920x1080
and of course a lot of 16:10 Displays and some 5:3

• System > On start of layout | system > load game from slot "brain"
  • System > On load failed | system > scroll to obj_Forum
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks for the answers guys.

I obviously want my game to look good on tablets and computers. Is there an emulator available that I can use to test the output on smaller displays? Are emulators even reliable guides?

In the old days of the web we had to worry about increases in monitor sizes and screen resolutions. 20 years later and nothing's changed. What a nightmare.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:32 pm

The easiest way to check your design is in your Browser

Example in Chrome
hit F12 to go to developer mode
change your layout size with the small phone icon (ctrl + shift +M)
Now you can test different screen sizes / Phone models (eg. iPhone 4 Landscape)

But for the real test you have to export your project and work with e.g. phonegap / intel xdk

• System > On start of layout | system > load game from slot "brain"
  • System > On load failed | system > scroll to obj_Forum
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?