What steps to take on making a Tamagotchi?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • Hello! I've recently become interested again in programming, and for the longest time I've wanted to make a pet game based on how Tamagotchis work with added features; however, I'm having a bit of a hard time knowing just where to start on such a game.

I've seen a few threads here and there saying knowing the basics helps a lot, and while this is true I don't really want to start a different project now and don't mind starting from 0 and having to reset a few times: that's why I would like you guys to give me some tips and general ideas on just what to use for a game like this.

A few doubts that arise:

My biggest problem is displaying pre-set animations and events, since the sprite would have to change depending on what pet you own. How can I do this?

Should I worry about what size the sprites are? To add onto that, I wanted to give each pet 3 to 5 variations in coloring: is there a way in construct 2 to do this automatically, or should I have separate spritesheets for each variation? Another question involving sprites: is there some way in Construct 2 to assemble pre-designed assets (body, head and back accessories so far) and make a spritesheet out of it? I have a genetics system in mind where both parents give traits to their children, and while personalities and the like could be difficult to add, preparing the sprites and getting the assembling system ready would do wonders.

...So far I cant remember any more questions ;; any and all answers appreciated, but while I *do* need to explore easier-to-program games such as a simple platformer or something like Tetris, I have a lot of things already thought-out for this project and I'd love to know just how to make it a reality, so answers focused on this genre will be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks in advance! <3

• My biggest problem is displaying pre-set animations and events, since the sprite would have to change depending on what pet you own. How can I do this?

Yes, there's no getting away from having to animate all of the actions for all of the animals. If there are 10 animals, you'll need 10 idle animations, 10 eating animations, 10 playing animations, etc. The oooonly possible way around this would be with a bone animation system which I'll get onto in a minute. To save you some code work I'd suggest putting all of the pet sprites in an object Family with the same animation names. Then all you have to do is delete the 9 pets that the player is not using at level start and "set Family animation to 'Eating'" or whatever for when you need to change the animations. In other words always send animation events through the Family, not the individual pet sprites. That could save you a loooot of redundant coding.

Should I worry about what size the sprites are? To add onto that, I wanted to give each pet 3 to 5 variations in coloring: is there a way in construct 2 to do this automatically, or should I have separate spritesheets for each variation?

Make the sprites so that they display naturally at the maximum size you'll need them to onscreen - you can always shrink them if you need them smaller, but you can't really make sprites bigger than they're supposed to be without them looking a bit crap. This isn't a hard and fast rule - you can break it for some things - but it's a good general approach to have. Re: colours, C2 has various built-in WebGL shaders and effects that can be used to do tints and colour replacements on the fly - you could look into that and see if it helps you

Another question involving sprites: is there some way in Construct 2 to assemble pre-designed assets (body, head and back accessories so far) and make a spritesheet out of it? I have a genetics system in mind where both parents give traits to their children, and while personalities and the like could be difficult to add, preparing the sprites and getting the assembling system ready would do wonders.

Not... as such. Not the way you're asking. You could perhaps look into a bone/modular animation system, which would allow you to do jointed puppet animation and swap out the individual body parts on the fly, but I warn you this is technical and a big headache if you're starting out. If you really want to go that way, maybe look into getting a program called Spriter - I've heard that that will integrate with C2 well.

Good luck!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • First of, thanks for the reply! <3

These are all really useful! My only thing-- when I meant the changing sprites and animation deal, I meant I dont know how to assign the program the task of saving your current pet as it is, with its sprites the way they are. Maybe variables? An array? No idea

• Yes, you can store all that stuff in variables and save it that way. Eg you could have variables like:

petAnimal = "dog"

colourScheme ="green"

petGender="f"

...etc, or assign numerical values to things if you prefer. Then when the game boots up you just have to pull all the info back out of the variables, set the sprite to be a green female dog, etc

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)