What to do after mastering Construct ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:12 pm

Hey Guys I was wondering that if I learned Consruct 2 and then I want to work at game industry of course the industry doesn't use these type of engines so I need to know which engine Is best for me :|
When life gives you lemons throw them at someone
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:42 pm

The industry you are talking about requires a degree.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:13 pm

@ultimateassassin - Construct 2 is the easiest way & (in theory) inefficient for professionals in some ways since it is generalized (Because there are ways you can optimize your game but cannot be implemented in a 'magic engine') . But the engine is very efficient in time & easy to master.

My point is that, if you are going to work in an industry, you'll likely not use an engine like Construct 2 but something more vast & custom for a particular company.
If you want to know & learn the most commonly used engine that resembles a custom company game engine. That would be Unity3D.

In using Unity 3D you need to learn how to program using languages like Javascript, Boo or C#.

Mastering C2 will not get you employed in a gaming company, you need a degree like @newt said & a programming background.

Update:

Ohh, yeah... Learning the Unity Engine can get you employed in some small / big gaming companies. Best of luck. ;)
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:44 am

@newt is telling the truth. A degree is required. Also, you'll need to be able to program using a traditional language and know how to use one of the most popular engines (Unity3D or Unreal Engine 4). Depends on the job you are willing to apply for.

You can hone your algorithmic skills using C2 and therefore you'll get into traditional programming more easily later. But if you don't have a degree about software development (or at least about computer-science) your best shot would be in my opinion to find freelance jobs or build your own team/company. At least for now. Visual programming is getting more and more attention as a viable method of software development but it will still take years for this to spread in the industry. Since we can't see the future, don't wait for the time when every company seeks developers with visual programming knowledge.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:18 am

I work and use Construct 2 to make advergames since no other current engines can allow to do multiplatform web games as easily, quickly and lightly as C2 can (no Unity cannot. No UE4 cannot.).
So depending on "the industry" you are actually aiming for, mastering C2 can lead to actual work.

All engines have their hype. C2 is not "less capable", only people are.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:28 am

I wouldn't say a degree is required - I don't have one (in software/computers) :P It may well help you get a job if you have a degree, but I don't think people should say it's required, since that could put some people off even trying. The most relevant thing to have is experience in the field you want a job in.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks Ashley you really care about us :)
When life gives you lemons throw them at someone
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:45 pm

Sometimes the profoundest wisdom comes in small, byte-sized sentences.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Well honestly, I think it actually depends on your IQ. If you are as genius & persistent like Ashley or Bill Gates then I guess you don't have a problem.

But for us average minds, I think having a degree will be the safest bet. ;)

And btw.... I'm going to reveal that universities don't really teach programming very well compared to self-learning. :lol:
Last edited by chadorireborn on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:08 pm

OK, degree, or equivalent experience.
With a portfolio, using AAA graphics, as apparently that's all they see.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General