What tools/engines did you try before Construct?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Phew, do i have a history with these type of tools.
I pretty much tried every single one, but i'll talk about more recent ones.

I feel nostalgic for Game Maker because my first "Games" were made in it when i was about 9 or 10. but it was shortlived, i loved RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 back in the day.

first time i got serious was much like @Rory when i got involved with the Mirage Source community, Dabbled with the horrors of VB6 with the help of people like DFA, but again nothing ever really turned out of it.

Programming a game from scratch was never my thing,
I was always a mess in everything, especially in code, so i decided to try out Stencyl about 8 months ago, i quite liked it but i had far
too many issues with it, tons of physics bugs and the recent price update really turned me off of it.

Then i found Construct Classic, made a bunch of prototypes and fell in love. Now i moved to C2 and do everything in it.
And hopefully, my first Truely complete game.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:59 pm

@DeMayunn Ah, glad to hear Mirage's name here again. DFA is back in Eclipse now btw.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:09 pm

@Rory - Yeah i know, i'm still in contact with him :P
However let's keep reminiscing to Twitter.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 am

[QUOTE=boybokeh]I think their UI for snapping code blocks is probably a great, visual way to teach programming principles to people who have never even nested an HTML tag before. That said, I don't like the emphasis on tile usage in game construction and C2's workflow is definitely more streamlined (note: not a euphemism for 'simplistic').

There are a few abstract reasons and many more tangible reasons behind my decision to go with C2. The core for me is that I think as the HTML5 platform matures, performance improves and support grows, Scirra customers are going to come out winners. That's why I got on board early.

How about you guys and girls?[/QUOTE]

I have zero interest in HTML 5 games at the moment. Never had any interest in Flash either, so I suppose that goes hand-in-hand. But Construct's system is superior in execution to the other systems. The whole visual building blocks systems I find in other programs is just too lame for me to even want to do anything with it. I find MMF's checkbox system to be a complete dinosaur that should've gone extinct a long time ago, and like you I refuse to learn GameMaker's scripting language because it has no utility outside of GameMaker.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:03 pm

@MrMiller - interesting you say that about MMF. I've never used it properly, but I've seen some reasonably complex stuff done with it. More power to the people working with it, I guess :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:24 pm

I spent a solid 2 years and at a pace of around 80 - 100 hours per week working in FPSCx10. This is a 3D engine which is...SADLY...discountinued and hasn't been supported for a long time in favor of their earlier product FPSCx9.

What happened there would be like if everyone here utterly rejected C2 and after a year or so Scirra decided they should just go back to working on Construct Classic. A lot of the problems had to do with the botch operating system known as Vista. Many of the long time users were not going to leave behind their XP machines and DirectX10 does not work in XP.

But anyway....I had my fun their and made a slew of mini-games in a relatively short period of time. Learned absolutely everything was to know about that engine.

Now, I am starting over with C2 and not able to put in the 80-100 weeks like I used to do. However, C2 is so easy to use it is ridiculous.

I've spent time in 3D Rad (and agree about what others have said - it is a cool 3D engine), in Torque 3D, Unreal, and Unity - so far as 3D goes.

I built my own 2D engine using Processing (Java IDE) but the limitations of applets killed that one before I got too far. But it was a great experience and I *HIGHLY* recommend Processing to anyone interested in learned a bit more programming. To this day, if I need to do something 'unusual" like tangible user interfaces or biosensors, I use processing because of the lower level control.

I've worked in Ethanon a 2.5D engine based around C++ syntax with a decent but underdeveloped world builder. It has a fantastic lighting and shader system. But it is developed solely by one person in his spare time and out of the goodness of his heart (i.e. it is free).

I installed GameMaker...but found C2 before ever even messing with it and have no desire to at this point.

That about brings me up to present date. There have been a few other engines here and there but not really worth mentioning beyond what I've listed above.

Cool thread, btw!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

@srealist, I've had Processing on my to-do list for a while now. Your recommendation may be just what I need to kick me into gear and actually start exploring it a bit further.

B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:22 pm

[QUOTE=boybokeh] @MrMiller - interesting you say that about MMF. I've never used it properly, but I've seen some reasonably complex stuff done with it. More power to the people working with it, I guess :)[/QUOTE]

No doubt, MMF2 is a powerful system that has made some good commercial games. You just have to be willing to stomach that fossil-like event system. When I think of that event system, it almost makes me want to pull out a paper graph and some punch cards...

The Scirra guys used to work with the Clickteam in some capacity in the past. In all honesty, Construct's event system is the modern evolutionary step that Clickteam never took with MMF and appears to refuse to even consider it which is a real shame.MrMiller2012-08-30 13:23:13
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:11 pm

@boybokeh

It's a great environment and if you check out openprocessing.org you will find all kinds of very cool examples. The latest version of processing has 3 modes: standard, javascript, and android. The main limitation of the javascript mode, presently, is that community libraries will not work.

This is what killed my little engine. I based it around a community built physics library called fisica (and was more or less a wrapper for box2D) but last I checked it had not been updated to work in javascript mode, thus limited the export options to applets or .exe.

I've a project this fall building a musical tangible user interface for autistic children and will be doing this in processing as I need to program a micro-controller (arduino). Working with sensors and actuators is not really something you can practically or easily do at this point in C2 but maybe one day. Security limitations within html5 specs make things difficult when developing these kinds of applications.

Seems there is always a trade off between accessibility and functionality. It's understandable because the more access you have, the more damage you can do. Being able to develop applications that work on multiple operating systems and multiple devices without separate compiles, is a beautiful thing but there will always be a trade-off.srealist2012-08-30 18:12:55
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 pm

[QUOTE=MrMiller] [QUOTE=boybokeh] @MrMiller - interesting you say that about MMF. I've never used it properly, but I've seen some reasonably complex stuff done with it. More power to the people working with it, I guess :)[/QUOTE]

No doubt, MMF2 is a powerful system that has made some good commercial games. You just have to be willing to stomach that fossil-like event system. When I think of that event system, it almost makes me want to pull out a paper graph and some punch cards...

The Scirra guys used to work with the Clickteam in some capacity in the past. In all honesty, Construct's event system is the modern evolutionary step that Clickteam never took with MMF and appears to refuse to even consider it which is a real shame.[/QUOTE]

Jamie @ Clickteam is coding MMF3, he's well aware of Construct and Clickteam is well aware of Scirra, so i expect the next event editor to be nearly identical to Constructs.

My concern is that Scirra may have difficulty competing as inevitably Clickteam will support many native runtimes.

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic