What tools/engines did you try before Construct?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun May 19, 2013 12:03 pm

I have been through at least 7 engines but none of them were as easy to use or as powerful as c2. Engines I have tried include stencyl(A bit too fiddly), Gamemaker(Way too expensive) and 3d rad(No object types, only instances.). C2 is by far the best out of all of them.
Sorry about the username, old account XD

Post » Sun May 19, 2013 1:46 pm

For my personnal experience, I've tried first to... Program, which was long, and really frustrating, and also.. too much time consuming for me (and even with organisation, I was like "what this is doing, oh, I see" and 2 seconds later "what this is doing again?").

After that, I just wanted to make a "game", not to make a "program" (and as fun as it should, I also tried to do board games at home ^-^, so you underdstand easily why I think a program isn't the game itself).

I tried first RPG Maker (not sure of the version), and soon after, I realised my version was illegal (really.. I wasn't aware of that), I removed it quickly, I don't want illegals things on my computer!

After, I tried Game Maker (8.1 I think, not sure), What the point of using GML if some other language can do more, and also, the D&D doesn't offer good results for me, the Demo itself was weird... simple functions wasn't included, and GMS later was.. Expensive.. And the Economy politics of YoyoGames don't encourage me to go to it

Even I didn't really liked it, I used It for a little time, doing some little things, and finally someone talk to me about Construct Classic (which I didn't try really much) and later, about Construct 2, And that was just... What I needed, I wasn't able to connect to the French community forum (It took me a complete year, because of technical Captcha problems), so I had to understand, and learn, and try and retry the program, which was a lot of fun, and also rewarding

I tried Construct2, Construct 2 Tried me, I payed It some days before the r100, And I'll stay with Construct2, because it is what I needed, and what I still need.

PS: Special thanks to @Kyatric , who presented me Construct and Construct 2 (you know me under the "Powerfish" name)

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.

Post » Sun May 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi! I'm actually an artist but I somehow started coding in asm/pascal/C on DOS ages ago, then dropped coding till when I started using javascript/python some years ago, and in meantime I messed with various engines and libraries like rpgmaker, ren'py, allegro, pygame, flixel, etc. The only engine I spent some more serious time with was AGS (adventure game studio) which I like a lot but that has some shortcomings (not truly multiplatform, some technical limitations). I did play with Construct Classic in the past and liked it, so I decided to give Construct 2 a try: in beginning it was feeling weird cos I could not write code at all but then I got more used to it and I'm now liking it a lot, so I'm moving my current game development from AGS to C2 :)

Post » Thu May 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Cool topic.

I started building games using Flash (AS2).

It was the first time that I could think of a game idea and simply build it. It was just... magical.

But in the past couple years devices that support AS2 started to fade away and AS3 just wasn't as fun (more programmer-oriented rather than designer-oriented).

Then I discovered C2. I used it in this last Global Game Jam and was hooked. Haven't really built anything with Flash since (except for my day job). There are a couple things that Flash supports that to the best of my knowledge C2 doesn't (vector art, video footage)- but overall it is hands down better for me.

Return to Open Topic