[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1582: number_format() expects parameter 1 to be double, string given
What would it take to get 3D in Construct? - Scirra Forums

What would it take to get 3D in Construct?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:25 am

[quote:28hefly1]The biggest drawback for noobs would be creating the actual content.[/quote:28hefly1]
This is the other big stumbling block for an event-based 3D Construct type program. Worlds etc are time consuming to design in 3D, and modelling requires a fair bit of expertese, compared to setting up a 2D layout. What I was also referring to before is that it the maths behind your average 2D game is pretty much GCSE level (compulsory exams you take when 16 in the UK). If you want to go 3D, the concepts and maths go up to A level and beyond. Unless someone can persuade me by coming up with design principles that get around the technical difficulties and still are flexible and easy, I do think that 3D Construct would be a prohibitively difficult program to use, or that it would be self-defeating in that you'd have to have a similar level of investment as making a game in C++.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:02 am

I understand that it would be very difficult, but I think the real draw that separates Construct from other 3d engines is the simplicity of the interface mixed with all of the functions, which would definitely serve its purpose in a 3d environment. I realize it would almost be worth it to create a C++ game, but the visual interface would definitely help instead of having to write up all of the code to interact with DirectX9.0 which is one of the biggest challenges in making any sort of game, thus the simplicity in Construct.
I'm not really sure exactly the math behind the 3d functions, I mean I'm sure I've learnt a lot of the 3d functions and vectors and everything, but I don't really know how it would be relevant in adding to Construct. I mean, what exactly are you looking for?
Anything I could possibly help with, I would be very happy to help. I would love to get at least a little 3d, even it not the highest quality rendering; so at least you could do topdown 2.5d or something. I think an easy way to go about learning more about 3d rendering is possibly using some other 3d source codes for comparisons? I know there are more than a few open source 3d engines that would probably be of some help.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:07 am

One thing I think would be cool to design, is your simple walkmesh with a 3D character to run about on over the 2D background, as in like, late-nineties Final Fantasy games. But that could be faked with 2D... and doing any of it requires artistic ability, some modeling knowledge, and it seems programs like Construct are created to be used by people who don't know anything, so they can do whatever without trying. Err, what am I saying? I don't know. It's all good. :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:39 am

[quote="Ashley":17z03g2o]3D Construct would be a prohibitively difficult program to use, or that it would be self-defeating in that you'd have to have a similar level of investment as making a game in C++.[/quote:17z03g2o]
It's exaclty what I think about.
While Construct would benefy enormously of 3D sprites, a "Construct for 3D games" would be a suicide even just in terms of design.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 pm

I have to disagree. I think simple 3d games can be made in construct and quite well with only minimal new features. Try this demo I whipped up: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=916

Wasd to move, space to shoot. Apologies for the low res earth - had to keep the file size down to upload it to the board.

All that's needed to make an actual starfox game is the ability to display 3d models, move them more acurately through 3d space (like a 3d bullet movement for the lasers and to steer ships), 3D collision detection, and a real 3D camera (everything is faked in that example). I could have even done without the 3d collision detection and used detector boxes and checked the Z position to check if the lasers hit the cubes, but didn't bother, because it's mainly to show what could be done.

And I made that in about a half hour, and could have done it quicker. True, it's no crysis - but it looks cool and could be fun, and construct can already almost do everything needed for a complete version. I honestly believe if I spent some time on that, I could get a 3D starfox clone going that would be entirely playable with construct as it is right now. It wouldn't LOOK like starfox - but it would play like it.

(Captainoblivious, this was inspired by your efforts.)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 pm

I'm not sure why this conversation went awry. I do not want full 3D. What I want basically is the ability to load 3D models onto Construct rather than just cubes.

That Starfox example is a good example of what can be made in Construct. The only thing missing is something to take the place of the 3D box object; a 3D model object of some sort.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 01, 2008 12:31 am

[quote="machrider":1tyaofpk]I'm not sure why this conversation went awry. I do not want full 3D. What I want basically is the ability to load 3D models onto Construct rather than just cubes.

That Starfox example is a good example of what can be made in Construct. The only thing missing is something to take the place of the 3D box object; a 3D model object of some sort.[/quote:1tyaofpk]

I do beleive Ash was considering improving the 3D content of Construct, but I think it was more in terms of basic meshes like cylinders and domes etc... Importing 3D models is probably tricker than it looks, though I was kind of wishing for the same thing as it would rapidly open doors of extreme awesome-ness.
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 01, 2008 4:45 pm

[quote="machrider":3ezv5fbm].... 3D model object of some sort.[/quote:3ezv5fbm]

These guys http://www.3drad.com/ are trying. They are not that far yet. But they try.

and u can google on " Create first person shooter " .. those engins come close to what u have in mind.
B
S

Post » Thu May 01, 2008 6:54 pm

[quote="thx4this4ndthat":261gkoua][quote="machrider":261gkoua].... 3D model object of some sort.[/quote:261gkoua]

These guys http://www.3drad.com/ are trying. They are not that far yet. But they try.

and u can google on " Create first person shooter " .. those engins come close to what u have in mind.[/quote:261gkoua]

Um, you do know what an "object" in Construct is, do you?

The 3D box object, for example. Instead of that, there should be an object like it that is able to load models rather than just make cubes. I'm not sure how much simpler I can describe this.

I wasn't asking for another program to use. Nothing comes close in terms of usability than Construct or what I used to use, the Clickteam range of products (which Construct is derived off of).

Plus, I have nearly 0% interest in making a full 3D game, nor do I expect to with Construct. 2D with 3D models (in other words, sort of 2.5D) is something I would really enjoy though.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 01, 2008 9:06 pm

What I gather from this entire thread is that what you're asking for is a very, very long way away. Once even just the 2D stuff is anywhere near complete, the devs will be able to better consider expanding the 3d graphics capabilities.

Until them, have you considered modelling and animating in another program, creating 2D animations with it for use in construct? It would achieve much the same effect provided you take your time.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion