What would it take to get 3D in Construct?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu May 01, 2008 9:06 pm

What I gather from this entire thread is that what you're asking for is a very, very long way away. Once even just the 2D stuff is anywhere near complete, the devs will be able to better consider expanding the 3d graphics capabilities.

Until them, have you considered modelling and animating in another program, creating 2D animations with it for use in construct? It would achieve much the same effect provided you take your time.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 02, 2008 4:41 am

didnt want to take the time to read all the lengthy posts. but what about something as simple as a "raycasting object" ? which is 2d rendering. it wouldnt be 3d models, but if someone wanted to make a first person shooter, they would be able to do so. raycasting is generally a simple procedure and im sure id wouldnt be a difficult concept for you to understand ashley. it could work something like using objects as textures, objects as sprites, and a simple gridbased mapfile for rendering. i think it would be a great addition imo.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 02, 2008 5:13 am

Doom - the Remake.

Personally, I'll stick to the classics. Marathon: Durandal on XBL is about as good as you can get with a raycasting engine, as it does a number of "advanced" features for the time... like water. I do admit a raycasting engine combined with Construct's shader system would be interesting to see.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 02, 2008 11:05 am

B
S
G

Post » Fri May 02, 2008 5:02 pm

[quote="CaptainOblivious":zpsxila7]What I gather from this entire thread is that what you're asking for is a very, very long way away. Once even just the 2D stuff is anywhere near complete, the devs will be able to better consider expanding the 3d graphics capabilities.

Until them, have you considered modelling and animating in another program, creating 2D animations with it for use in construct? It would achieve much the same effect provided you take your time.[/quote:zpsxila7]

No, it wouldn't. Then they'd just be sprites made with some 3D modeler. You wouldn't be able to have them zoom in and out and automatically orientate themselves according to where you are on the screen. Look at that Starfox example to see what I mean. Someone also posted a parallax example on here using the 3D Box. I suggest you look at that as well. None of these things can be done without polygons.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Machrider... I know you said you don't want to make a full 3D game, but there's nothing stopping you from making a 2.5D game with a 3D game engine. All you have to do is restrict movement to the x/y axis and have your camera fixed along z. It would be cool to do this stuff in Construct some day, but if you really have a good idea for a game right now and you want to get working on it, that wouldn't be a bad way to go.

[quote="Attan":3ofv3bfq]He want THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGdrMl7WLA[/quote:3ofv3bfq]

So do I! That game looks so friggin sweet. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 02, 2008 11:16 pm

[quote="deadeye":1uqs8t1n]Machrider... I know you said you don't want to make a full 3D game, but there's nothing stopping you from making a 2.5D game with a 3D game engine. All you have to do is restrict movement to the x/y axis and have your camera fixed along z. It would be cool to do this stuff in Construct some day, but if you really have a good idea for a game right now and you want to get working on it, that wouldn't be a bad way to go.

[quote="Attan":1uqs8t1n]He want THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGdrMl7WLA[/quote:1uqs8t1n]

So do I! That game looks so friggin sweet. :)[/quote:1uqs8t1n]

There is. I don't know how to code. Actually, it's more like I can't seem to learn how to code. I've tried to learn but my attempts to learn programming thus far have ended in failure. I've tried self teaching books, classes, everything. For some reason, I can't make a game unless I have menus to click on and can see whats going on in a WYSIWYG environment. Now if there is any other Klik-like (Construct falls under this category as it derives from Clickteam's klik range of programs) tools out there that can do 3D, then maybe I'd use that instead. But as far as I know, there isn't.

Of coarse, I haven't given up yet. I will keep trying (maybe take some programming classes over the summer) and one day learn how to code without MMF or Construct. But in the meantime, I would like to see some sort of basic 3D model functionality replace (or complement) the 3D Box in Construct someday. It's something I would really look forward to.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion