What would make Construct 2 different from others?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:45 am

By offering a pay-what-you-think-it's-worth-model, instead of a set price.
(when it has (almost) reached a point near the current state of Construct 0.x)

(might work on restaurants, in a small scale)
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201010 ... king.shtml

One websites said that in the restaurant example, you need to create a situation where you feel being watched and obligated to pay, or not to walk away without paying.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 pm

The problem with pay-what-you-want is if we don't have major upgrades, we're effectively granting infinite licenses that last forever for all versions of the software. That's not really sustainable - even traditional licensing generally asks you to pay again at the next major version.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Example text to include with updates:

"Remember, Construct 2 uses the pay-what-you-think-it's-worth-model.
So far, 82% of all registered users on the forum have paid, using this model.
If you're a new user: pay any price, considering the complete package that Construct 2 now is.
If you're an existing user of C2: how much do you think this update is worth to you? (this might be a lower amount of money, since you already experienced the above mentioned situation)"
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:55 pm

[quote="Ashley":2dxesgh7](...) Either we don't spend that much time on it and don't reach those goals, or we take the plunge and go full time on it, in which case free software just doesn't make economic sense. (...)[/quote:2dxesgh7]

I prefer that you don't spend that much time on it (part time) and don't reach those goals.
It worked for C0.x.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Is it fair for you to ask Ash to work part time on it, so you can avoid paying the price of the license?
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:36 am

[quote="Tom":38xx7zfz]Is it fair for you to ask Ash to work part time on it, so you can avoid paying the price of the license?[/quote:38xx7zfz]

No, not fair...
But I would prefer the old Construct situation over the new one.
I understand the new one (I read the post from Ashley), but this topic presented 2 options and I wanted to express my opinion.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:47 pm

[quote="Tom":1z3c1r1e]Is it fair for you to ask Ash to work part time on it, so you can avoid paying the price of the license?[/quote:1z3c1r1e]
I don't think the price of a license is an issue for the majority of people.
It's hardly going to break the bank is it.

But I'm not convinced that the old Construct method worked that well.
In my time here, there are major bugs that where never fixed, despite requests, many posts from people asking very relevant questions that went unanswered even though other posts around them were answered, devs disappearing for long periods of time, some forever, and then the project ending abruptly so that the new version can be worked on (if it wasn't for people like RojoHound, Lucid, and 1 or 2 others, Construct 0.x wouldn't have been anywhere near what it is now).

I've already made my opinion on the absence of an .exe exporter in Construct 2, so I won't go over old ground, but my main concern with Construct 2 is that for a paid product, the above behaviour wouldn't be acceptable.

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi Krush,

You are absolutely correct, the reason casual support requests went unanswered was simply because there were too many of them to manage for a few devs who were doing it as a fun project. I would like to point out though that there are a few people on this forum that have made significant efforts in providing community support which of course everyone is extremely grateful for.

Everything else really comes down to the negative effects of running something as a free project. There was no obligation for anyone to fix bugs/add new features/respond to support requests.

Construct 2 is undergoing an overhaul, and I'm working on the new website and one of my main focuses is to make all the information a lot more accessible, provide good quality support for paying customers, have a much more organised and easy to search online manual/tutorial/articles, and lots more. I'm going to be putting significant efforts into making all these a reality. It really is going to be a much more accessible product, and hopefully the resources supporting it will blossom quickly.

I completely agree that the above behaviour wont be acceptable for a commercial product. One thing I love when buying things online, more than anything else is receiving fast and good quality support both from official channels and the community. This is what I am going to be working towards.

Tom
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:41 pm

For me, the only important thing is to have the best tool for game-creation possible. I've been counting on C1 being put aside for C2 for a long time, but i thought it would take ages to mature. C2 being a full time project is the best thing that could have happened if you ask me. I've seen the rate at wich C1 developed (when the code was still in ok shape) so with full time work and some obligation to deliver, C2 will probably be everything we've ever dreamed of.

"What would make Construct 2 different from others?" is a question i don't really understand. Have you even used C1? Have you read anything of what's planned for C2? You should know what these guys are capable of at this point.

Tom. Are you integrating a better development-community as well? Construct users reall need a better creative environment. A better way for devlogs and such would be good. Ask around on the forums, there's probably many good ideas.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:00 pm

[quote:qzr8qbcs]Construct 2 is undergoing an overhaul, and I'm working on the new website and one of my main focuses is to make all the information a lot more accessible, provide good quality support for paying customers, have a much more organised and easy to search online manual/tutorial/articles, and lots more. I'm going to be putting significant efforts into making all these a reality. It really is going to be a much more accessible product, and hopefully the resources supporting it will blossom quickly.[/quote:qzr8qbcs]

Hmmm....an interactive Html5 wiki? :P
Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General