in January 2012
Hello, January 2012 has been another intense month for Construct 2's website and community.
- 4 releases for Construct 2 (with expected features):
(The features listed here are only the "highlighted" features for each release. Check each release page to see the complete changelog and comments for each version)
Be sure to keep updated to the most recent release of Construct 2
- Scirra's website has seen a few modifications:
- The end of the early-adopter period means that the "Early adopter badge" is now a collector.
Wear it proudly for you'll always be remembered as one of the braves who was there in the early days of C2.
- C2 now has families and preview on LAN for licensed users
- A new page to list the regional communities, find more about construct in your own language. (to post new communities links post the link in this topic)
- The mibbit chat component has been fixed and now takes you back to #construct on irc.esper.net as it did before.
- Scirra's Affiliates program a new program that allows you make money by bringing new users to C2. Warning: it's in beta stage.
- Less new custom plugins and behaviors for Construct2 were released than in December 2011, but a lot of updates (not listed here) have been seen:
- Behavior Ease Transition by GauVeldt - http://www.scirra.com/forum/behavior-ease-transition_topic47675_post298585.html
- Plugin Bitwise operation by Yann - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-bitwise-operation_topic47702.html
- Plugin Log Text & Objects to Chrome Console by wgfunstorm - http://www.scirra.com/forum/log-text-objects-to-chrome-console_topic47859.html
- Plugin Debug panel by rexrainbow - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-debug-panel_topic48052_post301500.html
- Plugin iScroll by Septeven - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-iscroll_topic48197_post302579.html
- Plugin While-loop by rexrainbow - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-whileloop_topic48220_post302717.html
- Plugin Unistroke Getsture Recognizer by Pode - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-unistroke-gesture-recognizer_topic48720_post306000.html
- 4 blogs articles were written by Tom and Ashley:
- Early adopter period to end soon by Tom - Indicating the soon end of the early adopter period to mark the stability of C2
- Rotary competition win some flying prizes by Tom - The launch of a new competition for C2 with surprising prizes.
- Graphics card drivers: a lesson in software engineering by Ashley - A consterned look by Ashley over the mess graphic card drivers can be and how many C2 bugs were already fixed by just updating those.
- On the receiving end of link building campaigns by Tom - A point on the recent waves of spammers that reached the forum only to be washed away quickly and swiftly by the staff and the community's reports
- A few posts from the forum that deserve your attention
- Rotary competition official - An official competition issued by Scirra with tons of fun prizes to win and a gorgeous theme. Make a game which mechanic/gameplay relies on the rotating capabilities in C2 (layout, layers, tiledbg, etc...)
- Non english communities - A list of several outer forums/websites in different languages than english. If you know some community that isn't refered there yet, be sure to leave a post with the link.
- An article about HTML5 - A recap of HTML5's situation by the end of january as far as technology, browsers and marketing/acceptance go.
- A sticky in the bugs section that deals with the control issue in chrome (keyboard+ mouse)
- Shameless plug: the How do I FAQ gets updated on regular basis welcoming new sections/items listed according to the discussions in the forum. I strongly suggest to check the "Picking/selecting an instance" section, as well as the "Arrays" section. Both those subjects were recently treated in valuable discussions in my eyes that are to help a lot of new (and less new) users. Check it out ! Also you're still invited to propose links to add and rephrase some of the listed items. This is quite a big job, don't hesitate to help in, I'll appreciate it.
Also there's been quite a few new tutorials. The community is sharing more and more useful informations/tips/tricks and knowledge.
There have been also a great deal of new games uploaded in the Arcade and in the Your creations forum. Take the opportunity of this topic to post about the games you may have tried this past month and enjoyed a great deal. It will bring some welcomed exposure to the games and their authors.
This first month of 2012 has been pretty intense as far as C2 releases and the features they proposed went as well as in the website/community in general.
The current contest should also provides a bunch of nice new games for the arcade by the end of February.
31 days went by in 2012 and we're still all alive, see you next month.