in May 2012
Hello all, here's the time for the monthly recap of what went on in the community.
May has been a very rich month.
- Release 88 (beta) - Bug fixes and usability tweaks
- Release 89 (beta) - Export to CocoonJS
- Release 90 Stable - Stable update, and export to AppMobi directCanvas.
- Release 91 (Beta) - Family behaviors, letterbox fullscreen, Dictionary plugin.
- Release 92 (Beta) - Import project files, spritesheeting on export.
(The features listed here are only the "highlighted" features for each release. Check each release page to see the complete changelog and comments for each version)
Be sure to keep updated to the most recent release of Construct 2
- Notice by Ashley for plugins/behaviors developers: Plugins might break or worse with CocoonJS, make sure to check the compatibility of your extensions
- Plugin Cookies - Ubivis - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-cookies_topic51805_post326187.html
- Behavior Image effects for sprites - Pode - http://www.scirra.com/forum/behavior-image-effects-for-sprite_topic51702.html
- Plugin Board,SquareTx,HexTx - Behavior Grid Move - rexrainbow - http://www.scirra.com/forum/pluginboardsquaretxhextx-behavior-grid-move_topic51891.html
- Plugin Image button - septeven - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-image-button_topic51829.html
- Plugin Sentry - pckhoi - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-sentry_topic51885.html
- Plugin Base64 Audio - Pode - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-base64-audio_topic52192.html
- Behavior Car Physics - CodeMasterMike - http://www.scirra.com/forum/behavior-car-physics_topic52225.html
- Behavior Scrolling for TextBox - rexrainbow - http://www.scirra.com/forum/behavior-scroll-down-for-textbox-plugin_topic52277.html
- Behavior Scrolling for Text - rexrainbow - http://www.scirra.com/forum/behavior-scrolling-for-text-plugin_topic52557.html
- Behavior Boundary - rexrainbow - http://www.scirra.com/forum/behavior-boundary_topic52539.html
- Plugin Text highlighter - Pode - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugintext-highlighter_topic52545.html
- Plugin FacebookMod - juantar - http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-small-mod-to-facebook-plugin_topic52653_post330566.html
- A new way to learn how to program by Ashley - A reflexion and "comparison" between C2 and coding language and a demonstration that event-driven is still programation in the same right as a coding language.
- Optimisation: don't waste your time by Ashley - In answer to a wave of "is this event faster than this event" questions in the forum, Ashley displays and explains the process of logic and rendering for a game, the ominous "logic takes 10% of the time of a frame" and some drawbacks of optimisation as a bad handling of dev ressources.
- Drivers problems complain to your graphics card vendor bu Ashley - One more article about drivers problems, Ashley exorts you to contact your graphic cards vendors so that they improve and pressure on laptop manufacturers as well so that they improve their drivers too.
- The great HTML5 mobile gaming performance comparison by Ashley - An article with a comparative charts of performances of a C2 project exported on up to 23 platforms, and the results.
- "GameMaker has no competition", we beg to differ HTML5's scalability by Tom - An article to remind/explain further on Scirra's policy and why Yoyo games is making a mistake in not considering them as competition.
- Under the hood: Spritesheets in Construct2 by Ashley - An article explaining the way the spritesheet generated on export (in beta release 92) works and the motivations behind the way it is implemented.
- A thread about the possibility of an exporter towards Xbox360
- A thread about the community's appreciation for the makers of Construct2
- A tutorial about arrays for beginners, a nice work by Ramones. As questions about arrays gets asked quite often in the forums, let's hope this tutorial will help newcomers get the hang of arrays.
- This post from Ashley enumerates the exporters/wrappers that are currently being worked on.
- Cloning the classics: Pacman, a nice WIP tutorial by Professor Stemkoski. Learn useful techniques while recreating one of the legends of video games: pacman. Meaningful explanations and capx provided.
- Cloning the classics: Breakout (Video tutorial) another nice tutorial from Professor Stemkoski. This tutorial video serie shows you how to make a complete breakout clone in about an hour and a clear example on how to use Construct2 to make your games.
- In the second page of the comments on the blog article about the new spritesheet export system, Ashley let slips that the next feature he'll be working on is probably the image editor. Shhhhh you didn't read this from me.
And so this closes this monthly recap. A rich month as I was saying, with even more promises in the future with @Ludei's CocoonJS and all the "magic" Ashley insanely put in C2.
May is over, see you next month