- What you want in C2 for 2015 -

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:46 pm

PixelRebirth wrote:On the other hand if we are talking core games: basically every other game on Steam does install DirectX stuff when you fire it up the first time. I don't think gamers do perceive this as a hinderance. (Node Webkit exported projects in C2 also include dxwebsetup.exe, because it might be needed.)

I installed Airscape demo trough steam, together with dx and it didn't work.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:38 pm

@MadameBerry
And isometric isn't really that hard to do in events. Not really hard?
How can i syncronize turret behaviour with isometric frames? Something with speedometer? I have problems with mouse and pathfinding too. How do i lightning and shadoweffects (overlapping)? Explosioneffects...
How do i control walking movement without walk1, walk 2...
If it is easy for you, please solve these problems for me and upload a capx. THX.
Playable games:
http://jamesxxxyz.newgrounds.com/
Newest: Blue and red arrows
Latest update: Blue and red arrows

What you want in C3?
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=122050

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLE7Ml ... /playlists
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Somebody wrote:All the people asking for 3D and built-in isometric engines and what not so very often honestly feels a little ridiculous - if you need that just switch to a different engine. C2 has been very open about what's possible and what's the expected output.

I'm not asking for a full isometric engine.
And i think the most people are using Construct 2 because it does not require any coding.
I've tested Unity and the Unreal Engine for quite some time but was never able to achieve anything nearly usable because i can't code. Also the blueprint stuff within the new unreal engine isn't that easy to use as it may look.

Construct 2 is intuitive as it is, and all i'm asking for are some tools to make it EASIER for us to create an isometric world.

MadameBerry wrote:And isometric isn't really that hard to do in events. I don't feel like it needs its own editor.

Is it easy to create an isometric layout, place your graphics, player and set to 8way- walking behaviour?
Yes, kinda

Is it easy to create buildings or other big objects to get the the zorder properly done?
already getting tricky, unless you're using a zorder plugin.
But still it doesn't work properly if the objects are to big.
You're forced to create walls which are really short in the lenght and puzzle them together while making sure it looks visually correct.

Is it easy to create a proper colision with such an environment?
No it's getting kinda annoying, especially if it includes weapons to shoot and you've limits with collision polygons. (performance issues) etc...

Is it easy to create multiple floors within an isometric environment?
I haven't found a working solution as of yet at all. Teach me
https://www.scirra.com/forum/isometric-multiple-floors_t121850

Is there any way to get realistic physics into an isometric environment?
forget about it...

All i'm looking forward to are some tools or behaviours or events or whatever to help us in the development of an isometric environment. And i'm sure i'm not the only one.
isometric... in my point of view is still one of the top notch layouts you can achieve in 2D.

And about 3D:
As mentioned before, there are for sure a lot of unexperienced game devs in the C2 community.
Creating 3D models for game development is really not easy and takes a lot of time.
I have experience with it, but i don't think that it fits the Construct engine at all.

Just my opinion thought.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Somebody wrote:I'll have to agree with the "Against C3" people - as already mentioned there's a mountain of excellent tools, probably spearheaded by Unity and Unreal engine for "serious" development. C2 provides excellent tools for fast prototyping and making products that fit its target platform - HTML5.

All the people asking for 3D and built-in isometric engines and what not so very often honestly feels a little ridiculous - if you need that just switch to a different engine. C2 has been very open about what's possible and what's the expected output.

As for performance - mobile devices have basically already reached the pinnacle of resolution - there's no point to go beyond 300 dpi, the human eye simply won't see the difference. So you won't have to go beyond Full HD in the next year or next 20 years - the human eyes won't magically improve (well, probably). Devices currently coming out easily work with that resolution at a decent pace and they won't slow down - which means that as the time goes on your limits will stay the same, but device power and support will only improve enabling A LOT more to be achieved. Not to mention desktop PCs which are already beasts and will, obviously, also continue to improve.

I for one hope that C2 continues improving, gaining new useful functions and as time goes by HTML5 export to mobile platforms improves as well to eventually reach that desired "One click" stage.

What I want in C2 for 2015 is simple - random values in object parameters - so, for example, you put random(360) in angle inside the editor and every time the object is spawned it has a random angle - would make event lists so much cleaner.

Switch to other game engine like appgamekit2? Apk2 has a 3D engine and supports blendergameengine, but it is very difficult to handle. I guess that C2 is the easiest game engine. How difficult is scripting? Leadwerks and unity are easy to learn?
Playable games:

What you want in C3?

B
S

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:01 pm

@Everade
About isometric (General) from me. Bullet shoot is easy. Control in topdown. I guess something with container you should use. Bullet topdown and isobullet.
Last edited by JamesXXXYZ on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playable games:

What you want in C3?

B
S

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:01 pm

@Everade I see what you want. I'm doing iso game, but it's more like zelda. But if I remember correctly someone did post an capx how to do what you're after, granted, most probably not as easy as it could be done with premade plugins.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Hmmm, it sure would be nice if we could get someone who has made an "advanced" 2d game to compare C2 to what they used.

Not to be any more rude than usual, but it would be nice to get some speculation from success, rather than wherever this is coming from.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:15 pm

@michael
Q3D plugin for c2 is good for you?
Integrate a 3D engine like unreal for c2?
An unreal licence for one game is/was very expensive for a studio (over 100000 Dollar). To many people work on so an engine that's why it isn't possible. An applink from c2 to 3D engines should be possible!
Playable games:

What you want in C3?

B
S

Post » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:55 am

Personally I think C2 does exactly what it says it does - nothing more nothing less, and it's the right balance between productivity and functionalities.

I wouldn't want C2 (or C3, as people start to talk about C3 which I think would be a bit premature) to become what it's not ; there already are other solutions if I want to target native features, do 3D, actually program, etc.

I think it's all about user expectations, and there are 2 points in particular that keep coming back :

- Multi-platform ; cross-platform development never works easily and perfectly ; all engines or technologies advertising "write once deploy everywhere" have their flaws and specific issues. Targeting HTML5 is a clever choice ; it works at least as well as other solutions and has the advantage of moving a lot of the complexity to 3rd party companies. I see it as an advantage because these companies have a lot more man-power to burn to develop technologies ; it means we depend on solutions we don't fully control, but without HTML5 and theses companies there wouldn't be crossplatform at all in C2.

I have worked with in-house engines used for AAA consoles/PC games, and we always needed dozens of full-time senior programmers just to maintain the platforms. C2/HTML5 has its limitations, but it's not greener on the other sides ; it is viable and is the "clever" choice for a small company, and it will continue to improve in the future as part of the evolution of web-technologies.

- "no programming" ; I'm always wary when a product advertises "no programming required", and C2 falls in this category. Whether we actually write native code to compile, scripts to interpret, or events, it's all the same : programming is about designing solutions, manipulating data and implementing algorithms. That's exactly what we do in event sheets, even if they hide a lot of the complexity (few data types, objects only expose suitable operations in a given context, etc.)

Hiding the actual complexity also means that lots of people rely almost exclusively on the built-in behaviours, and we end up with lots of requests to make new behaviours, or make existing behaviours work like this or work like that, etc. And while these requests all seem sensible in a given project, they usually conflict with each other when looking at the big picture.

I would be in favor of exposing a bit more of the building blocks to let people come up with their own behaviours more easily. It would still be a lot easier than programming, but would require people to actually understand how things work to adapt to their needs.

As a final word, my "only" request for the future of C2 would be to improve the productivity of the editor when writing event sheets ; at the moment manipulating data, using variables, writing small algorithms, etc. is a lot more painful than it should, and there are lots of *small* things that could be done to make it a much more enjoyable experience. That an a real debugger to go with it ! Not being able to trace certain control structures is a real time-waster.
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:58 am

My advice is to focus more on 2d games not 3d, The idea is to make C2 the engine number 1 for 2d games.
There no way to make engine like Unity without spending huge amount of money.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General