- What you want in C2 for 2015 -

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:28 pm

My notes:

1) I think guessing polygon shape right after importing a sprite is a bit frustrating, at least for me. Although it's a great feature I rarely use it, box collision shape is fine for me in most cases.

2) Search box in "Projects" tab is a necessity. I usually keep stuff highly organized but still it doesn't help me much.

3) Customizable number of undos

4) Make it possible to give an object some custom setup after spawning on preview because sometimes when you spawn a few similar objects but want them to be different size(or to have different variables) they usually end up changing together, at the same time. I try to make workarounds based on UID or IID and other stuff but it doesn't always help me.

That's all for now. Maybe I'll come up with other thoughts later.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:32 pm

How'bout "containers" for Families? Each time you create an instance of something in the family, it automatically contains the family container object. I could use this right now for sure.
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:45 pm

Haxe isn't necessarily going to fix any performance problems. Like I said, most projects which run in to trouble are either exceeding hardware limitations, or grossly inefficiently designed. I rarely see projects where the C2 engine is the bottleneck, and where I can I optimise it so it's no longer the case. Rewriting the engine in another language is a colossal project and does not change that. Also modern JS engines are very good and can get close to native performance, especially with asm.js, which to me would be a far more compelling choice (but not without its own tradeoffs). I really think a runtime rewrite is off the cards for now.

Also the rate HTML5 is improving is so fast, and with the might of well-resourced companies like Google and Microsoft behind it, I reckon it will be native-equal or better before we could even finish a new runtime.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:29 pm

@Ashley I think a few people are mistaking the latest chrome/NW issues with C2's performance...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Everade wrote:
MadameBerry wrote:And isometric isn't really that hard to do in events. I don't feel like it needs its own editor.

Is it easy to create an isometric layout, place your graphics, player and set to 8way- walking behaviour?
Yes, kinda

[REDACTED FOR LENGTH]

All i'm looking forward to are some tools or behaviours or events or whatever to help us in the development of an isometric environment. And i'm sure i'm not the only one.
isometric... in my point of view is still one of the top notch layouts you can achieve in 2D.

I'm not really sure exactly what you're looking for (given that, y'know, you're a different human and I am not a mind reader) but within the past year I've made two isometric games, one of which includes "floors" so to speak, and the other a full dungeon crawler with abilities and collision. This isn't really the topic to discuss this in, though, so if you want, private message me or something and we can talk about it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:20 pm

My comment wasn't related only to performance, but mainly about the fact that Scirra and the users don't have control over the more low level part of the engine.

Honestly I'm a really scared that an auto updating webview, more than nodewebkit, could break a perfectly working game without any action from the user (or even knowing it really). Who do you think such a user would contact when the game will crash or will start to jitter? And do you think telling them that the problem has been generated by the os auto update and that the solution and timing is up to them, will be enough or will you lose clients?
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 pm

2014 was the last of any meaningful advancement of C2. At this point C2 can only improve the current set and offer a few new plugins. C2 is hitting the peak of of features. Once that peak is crested then all that's left is stagnation and then at the end of 2015 there will be a large number of complaints wonder where the meaningful changes are. If the entire Contstruct line is to continue to have effective growth, penetration and meaningful features, C3 is the way to go.

C3 is mostly an IDE overhaul not an engine overhaul. I think a lot of people are mistaking the move to C3 as CC to C2. That's not the case. C3 will still be running the C2 game engine. Will end up using the same C2 plugins. However with the new IDE, structure and so on. New meaninful features can be added. Such as way points, editable bounding boxes, custom windows for plugins, Timeline animation, prefabs, scenegraphs so on. Not saying all done by Ashley, but features can be done by others.

Who knows, maybe C3 will offer an update price as an early adoption from C2 to C3.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:29 am

I believe we should consider about Timeline from CC and motion with easing as components to make cutscenes, we really need this feature
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:46 am

If the Spriter interface acted as a bolt-on instead of a plugin I would probably die of happiness; but yes, C3 needs at least a tweening/object animation feature, as it's missing from vanilla C2.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:53 am

More features for mobile apps/games.

Like camera, microphone, sensors on CocoonJS!!!!!!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General