What you want in C3?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm

megatronx wrote:Looking at C2, there so many things that van be improved and streamlined before C3. Let's not just hype for c3 yet. The year has only started. Let's make out of c2 best that it can be, improve performance, behaviors and plugins.

I totally agree. C2 is still have field to improve. It's a great (and probably necessary) step from Scirra to start planning C3, but don't just hype it yet.

And for the dark UI, I'd also give a +1, but it should be avaiable in C2 too.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:50 pm

i think scirra must hire more programmers for programming c3
if c3 start without a big programming team that is just another c2
and c2 projects must running in c3
and really work on export and native compiler and still have html5
and c3 must be cheaper ! developer wants to start with c3 and they shouldn't be worried about monetize and exports
so make that native (native android and native html5 and native windows and ios and...)
and more work on basics instead of special behaviors
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:53 pm

C2 is great as-is but here are two main things I'm missing that I'd love to see in C3: Better asset/object management and more control over project settings in general.

Better asset/object management:
I'm sure some of these have been asked for before by others but I'll mention them again just in case. On deleting objects or variables, have an option to keep the events associated with them with some kind of placeholder object. Ability to duplicate objects/sprites so we don't have to build similar objects from scratch. And PLEASE allow us to manipulate sprite atlases from within the editor; it's absolute hell to tweak sprite frames one-by-one when you have a lot of them and batch-processing external images doesn't cut it in some cases, like doing palette tweaks (AFAIK).

More control:
Allow users to set things like sprite atlas resolution themselves, control is always nice! Also, some things can only be controlled from the editor project settings right now, like point/linear sampling and WebGL on/off. It would be great if we could toggle these from the runtime to allow settings to be saved to and loaded from an external config file on runtime startup instead of needing separate builds(!) for different settings.

The idea here being that C2 files can be opened in C3 (possibly with a once-off conversion or the like), which would encourage existing users to migrate to C3 when the time is right for them

Oh yes.

I totally agree. C2 is still have field to improve. It's a great (and probably necessary) step from Scirra to start planning C3, but don't just hype it yet.

I agree too but the question is, with the way C2 works under the hood, how many new features can be included? Ashley has already mentioned that some things aren't easily doable without a major re-write, like modularity.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:17 pm

szymek wrote:Construct 3 as an add-on for Unity = no more problems with exporters. Buttersmooth everything :D

this would be so awesome
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Wow, interesting news and some really good ideas in this thread already!

However, for me it's impossible to list any wanted features yet. I want to know what's the deal with C3 before saying anything.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:55 pm

newt wrote:Needs more cowbell.

hahahahahhaha :lol:

Are we not jumping the gun here? I haven't seen any mention of C3 from anyone other than community. Can someone link the post about C3 if there is one. Curious.

*** EDIT ***

Nevermind... I Just found it.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:25 pm

I think C3 threads do not need to be created. Nor does Ashley need to start a "What should be in a C3" thread. Instead Ashley, big plugin developers and developers who use other systems should be involved in a discussion. Not to talk about what features such as plugins, but instead discuss the lowest technical requirements to offer the most flexibility. That way by a good foundation all requests can be developed rather than waiting for C4.

There are a lowt of newish users in this thread. But as an FYI C1/CC was a school effort with a group of students. C2 however is a work done by Ashley as a company with a clear direction. C3 will maintain C2 same direction and thus build on top of how things work and the gritty core. Likely C2 projects will be loadable by C3. So no. It's not fair to say that Scirra will just cut C2. That shows a lack of knowledge about Scirra.

So let the C3 threads end for now as a lot of these will just confuse new users and muddle the waters :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:36 pm

@jayderyu agreed, C3 is not even a clear concept yet, it was just pronounced from times to times by ashley as a potential next generation of the editor, so the hype is just wrong, too early to even start thinking about things, all we can want is for C3 to improve what C2 could not during his lifetime (which is far from finished).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Yeah, and they need to sort the licensing pretty quick, as noone is going to buy C2 if they think a C3 is in the works.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 pm

In case... they're actually going to work on C3 (i doubt it)
But let's just consider it...

Then i would like to know what's going on with our current projects.

Will they be portable into the C3 engine, or do we have to stick with a no-more updating C2 infrastructure.

I hope they're still improving C2 for now, rather than working on the next thing already.

I think a lot of these wishes could still be implemented into Construct 2.
And in case they're really planing Construct 3 already, it would be more than interesting to know on what their goals on the next engine may be.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General