What you want in C3?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:43 pm

dcadjust wrote:If its possible - Native iOS and Android exporters? That would make Construct the ultimate game design tool regardless of what version ... :)

+1 ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Message: Refeuh can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
"Native exporters" (? it's native, or it's exported, but exporting/building native from abstracted...) keeps coming back, yet we know it means multiple underlying engines, which is not practical.

That completely defeats the point of targeting a cross-platform technology like HTML5 and would be the end of Construct. There are other engines that do it ; so the real question is, should C3 try to compete with these at the risk of becoming a poor-quality clone, or continue to become THE solution for cross-platform HTML5 ? The later seems more unique and more interesting to me.

On the subject (remove white spaces, 'can't post URLs...) : https:// www.scirra.com/ forum/what-you-want-in-c2-for-2015_p870156? #p870156
by Ashley
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:34 pm

@refeuh
I think the issue is that most of the other engines also export to html5. On top of that, they also do native code for each platform. That is a HUGE advantage over construct.

What construct has going for it is the layout/level editor and event system. The html5 export is honestly nothing special or unique in my opinion.

We need easy advertiser integration with major ad providers and native exporters/compiler integration if construct 3 wants to compete in my honest opinion.

To be honest I'm probably done with construct when the next iteration of gamemaker and the likes come out. Unless of course the issues I addressed get implemented.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:56 pm

@Tylermon
Fair point ! Though I think it's important to pick one target/platform and get it to work as best as possible in order to maximise the productivity of the game creators while remaining realistic with what Scirra developers can do.

Having to support multiple underlying native engines certainly wouldn't help with that, it's an order of magnitude higher in terms of workload just to maintain a small collection of platforms and it makes the abstraction of certain features much more complicated, if possible at all. Therefore in my opinion continuing to focus on HTML5 would be the smart thing to do, letting big companies with much more resources and man-power ensure HTML5 gets better and better over time.

As end-users of these engines and game creators, "we" don't really care about the practicality of the engine development, in the end, we just pick the best solution for our requirements that fits in our budget when the time comes. But I see in C2/3 a great tool to quickly author decent applications, using a reasonably cross-platform-ish technology ; if I'd want anything else personally I'd just go back to traditional programming because there already are development frameworks and tools that expose more. I also know it would take more time to create simple things. 'Just my point of view !
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:20 pm

@megatronx - agreed. What I want in C3 is for C2 to keep being improved and supported. What would anyone on these threads have to gain by C2 being abandoned and having to fork out more money for the next version? Think about it.
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 am

I would like to see more developers hired so that C2 does not die out with the release of C3.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:44 am

@Tekniko
You write tutorials. I have some problems with isometric projection. I wrote these problems here: viewtopic.php?f=146&t=120594 (General/about isometric)
Can you please check it out and make tutorials?
One problem of pathfinding is that i can't reduce the time.
Playable games:
http://jamesxxxyz.newgrounds.com/
Newest: Blue and red arrows
Latest update: Blue and red arrows

What you want in C3?
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=122050

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLE7Ml ... /playlists
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:51 am

more templates and examples and finally few templates of highscores/ leaderboards
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:58 pm

Hmm, another license fee? O well, I guess that means I better rush My games to market so I can make sure to have enough cash :P

About the original Topic...
Although by the time C3 comes out, I'll have finished mine... but would be nice for new users to have some things like...

Inventory (RPG and otherwise)
announcements board (to import from a feed somewhere on the internet if app has connection... would be nice for new users)

on the other side of things...
the more we can do with C3 the better... with things that pros could use like...

Videos that are easier to import
More things to make Apps... vs all on games... (not saying much, but I'm already making apps with this as well as games...)
~Ant
Eat ALL THE BACON!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:10 am

I'd like to see a way to prevent characters from overlapping when using pathfinding in isometric games. The recent update with regenerating a small portion of the map was nice. I'd like to see more like this.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General