What's with all the CocoonJS whining lately?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 am

Well, the new update seems to set back the fps in most cases so in my opinion it is not whining to let Ludei (and Scirra) know about it. That said, of course we should always optimize and test our games all the time if planning to release on mobile. At this point I have tried every trick in the book to make my game run faster with the version 1.4 but still 1.3 works better in all devices I tested my game on. I have also made new test projects to see if the problem persists, and it really seems that there is something fishy in the 1.4 version - even the simplest projects seem to lag a lot more than before.

I am not worried tho, we all just have to wait patiently and see what Ludei has to say about this and then make conclusions!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:52 am

I think you seem to have missed the point. Yes, some people are exporting and expecting it to 'just work'.
But most of us are carefully refining and retesting to try and get good mobile performance through CocoonJS. We've done that on 1.3, and now found significant issues with 1.4 that are out of our control. Having committed to using CocoonJS for our projects. And we have no fall back, there's only one compiler!

Yes, it is 'free' but that is Ludei's call - I would pay for good support and good releases if I had that option.
We do have a right to be disappointed. The work we put in, the commercial risk we take in adopting CocoonJS, is all very real and costs us.
And actually I'd say most of the discussions here have been very constructive.

Ludei will get our money in the long-run, if they keep early adopters like us happy - that is the nature of start-up business.

The main problem seems to be that they've got millions in backing and huge pressures, which forces them to deliver 'headline' features like 3D. Instead of concentrating on the user base they have, building excellent support, and refining a good product.

Ludei should take a leaf from Scirra's book. They could easily be releasing beta versions - a beta compiler and a stable compiler will stop much of the frustration we currently have. And the launcher could also simply have a tick box for 'beta'.

If I have to start paying for Ludei to provide separate stable and beta compilers, with good support I certainly will. I'm sure other would too.
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:08 am

[QUOTE=blymi]
The work we put in, the commercial risk we take in adopting CocoonJS, is all very real and costs us.[/QUOTE]

What commercial risk? You don't pay anything for it so how can it possibly cost you anything?

It costs you in missed sales maybe? If it wasn't for CocoonJS you wouldn't be able to publish, much less sell that product to begin with.Xionor2013-08-05 11:13:42
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:33 am

@Xionor don't be so naive. You maybe doing this as a hobby in your spare time but many here do this to support ourselves/family/business.

Hiring someone to draw sprites/background for 4 months is not cheap. Having a programmer work on a product for four months is not cheap. Committing to to C2 and cocoon is of course a commercial risk. We have now launched our app but for while it was looking very dodgy.

Whether Ludei like it or not we are all stakeholders in their project. I love what cocoon represents and the opportunity it promises but Ludei's lack of communication and transparency is something that they need to work on.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Due to the instability of cocoon I'm looking for another game development solution, even if I love C2. Many ppl bought C2 because on the main page you can see exports to Android and IOS, but it's not totaly true, you can't export your work directly to this platforms, you have to the same work twice and expecting 60fps in your 10 sprites games.

I'm using C2 in a goal of commercialization, so yep I can whine.Joskin2013-08-05 12:25:58
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:27 pm

@Joskin

I agree, it is marketed as ready-working for Android and iOS. That IS a bit misleading.
Could have been better if it was marketed as Beta support maybe.

60 FPS is normal thought. Max FPS is capped at like 62 on my device so that's okay. Unless you mean it gets worse after 10 sprites :P
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:57 pm

I mean that you can't really understand why your are losing FPS when you are using cocoon, I'm working on a very simple game without physic, particles, text ...etc everything is fine for a mobile use. But it didn't works fine, an I don't get why. It's very frustrating.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm

@Joskin

I have to agree there. It works but it's never ever a smooth experience.
Exporting with CocoonJS is less about porting your project and more about tailoring it to work with Cocoon.

Since I develop mostly for Android, I've made many Android benchmarks with CocoonJS and I've tested many different methods and crunched many numbers on different devices. If you give me a link on a PM i can look into your project and see if it's a problem i recognize.Xionor2013-08-05 13:17:33
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Hello everyone,

The combination of C2 + CJS adds up to some pretty amazing and very sophisticated software.

We know from first hand experience that it can be very frustrating, especially when something is not working.

The latest version of CJS has introduced intermittent crashes in our game but on the whole we are extremely happy with it.

Implementing an alternative solution would require a great deal more effort. I am sure that Ludei are working very hard to resolve the current batch of bugs. While we wait, we all need to be patient.

In the meantime, we have decided to work on the next game rather than get tied down with CJS known issues.

Simon
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:22 pm

@xionor "You are free to use your own Android/iOS wrapper and port your HTML5 games yourself! However I am sure than no more than 1 or 2 people in the whole community have any knowledge on how to do this."

you think that if the 90% of the comunity have the ability to make a custom wrapper would buy C2?i dont think so mate.I personally bought (and i think the majority of us)C2 because I dont know programming at all.if i knew how to program i will use unity(free android,ios exporters not pro editions btw) or the new havok new engine(its free for mobile development)
And the other question i have to you is why you start this thread?everyone has his worries about his game and want to be as much as playable in mobile phones.Its not bad at all.im sure we make mistakes and get low fps (we have to find other ways to make our games more efficient,and read tutorials from ashley of course or from the forum) and sometimes misjudging things (in this case CJS) but its an idiom that says where is smoke there's fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PeGbMvpz4M

i love c2 its very easy to make a game,and the guys every week update the product (for FREE!!!) but for android (cause idont have apple's products to see the performance) c2 I think is far behind.maybe spending more time and focus at this issue will make us all very happy.and if as you said 1 or 2 people from the forum have the knowledge to make a wrapper i believe you are agree that the guys from scirra can make it happen.sorry for my tragic english.
And im not whining...
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General