What's kind of this technology such as moving pixels?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:08 am

@smk

That's crazy, seriously.

I really appreciate your explanation what you did this game. I was wondering you used arrays for collision, didn't you use tilemap to get locations of x and y to register collisions?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:49 am

R0J0hound wrote:With a 160x120 image, updating all the pixels took an average of 12 ms on my machine. For 60fps that plus everything else needs to be 16ms or less.
The event system on the other hand was way to slow to loop over the pixels. I actually just looped over a 160x120 array to set each xy to a random number and got an average of 230 ms.

Using your capx
I got an average of 2ms.
The looped option giving an average of 138ms
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:11 am

@smk
Thanks for your explanations, a lot of interesting stuff is in there, plus, it's always a real pleasure to get the behind the scene point of view. Very kind of you. ;)

@R0J0hound
Thanks, I understand better now, I will play with your .capx and experience the browser object (I've never use it before).
B
S

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Joannesalfa wrote:I really appreciate your explanation what you did this game. I was wondering you used arrays for collision, didn't you use tilemap to get locations of x and y to register collisions?

Yes, originally I thought this game will be great with bitmap-based maps (like Liero or Worms). Concepts changed, but the old collision system still worked well, so I didn't change it. In the non-prototype version, though, the level is now tile-based (but the per-pixel gore effects work there too).
B

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:24 am

I did similar effects in construct classic and moved everything using pixel shaders to process faked liquid physics collisions, in particular for this game: http://gamejolt.com/games/super-clean-clean/19382. The thing is with games like this that have lots of dynamics, the event engine in construct creates too much overhead and you'd be better off writing your own engine/plugin to highly optimize things for the particular "special case" you design the game around. You just need too much low level control over rendering and collisions, where the general solutions construct offers aren't specialized enough.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas