What's Next?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:36 pm

I imagine modularity working in much the same way as Unreal's Blueprints. Ie: create a standalone object or collection of objects that can be dropped into any project, with all its own inputs and outputs, that can be used by other blueprints or the project as a whole. Ideally, these modules would be isolated from the main project to avoid event sheet bloat, in much the same way as a PSB Smart Object can be implanted into a Photoshop document and edited separately without getting in the way of the main document.

This would massively improve the way that C2 is used, and would go very well with the new asset store.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:48 pm

it's probably not going to sell more licenses, but I would love to see enhancements to the IDE for larger projects. an expanded search is just a start, my favourite would be to find instances where objects/functions are used across multiple event sheets and layouts. this one is my big issue at the moment as it would allow for safe deletion of objects rather than just hoping you caught every instance.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:56 pm

Mr E Bear wrote:Modularity, it's a massive feature but honestly it's really hard to think of stuff C2 can't do... It's less of a "What's next?" and more "What's left?"

Wow seriously? You guys lack imagination :lol:
I don't mean this personally @Mr-E-Bear, it's just that I've been seeing a lot of people espousing this exact view here. I know you're just praising construct, but hey, here goes a list of ideas:

• Modularity
  • Improvements to the SDK (more edittime controls, ability to spawn custom windows, access to plugin storage, more data types, plugin dependency system, ability to create behaviors for plugins)
  • Separation of the several "polygons" (i.e. collision polygon and shadow polygon), as well as ability to hook into them (i.e. get the normal, for "mirror" surfaces)
  • Object-specific event sheets (this might be confusing if implemented improperly though)
  • Sub-layouts, more than one level running at a time (i.e. splitscreen, options menu, mini-games)
  • Better interface creation options (Right now it's a big mess, custom controls are all over the place, making resizeable windows is hard. Hopefully modularity saves the day)
  • Collaboration/Simultaneous editing
  • In-editor macro/automation support
I suppose after we get modules, the editor itself will need some love, as well as the SDK.

With the store coming online soon, though, I expect modules to improve C2 by about 300%, especially if we can nest modules infinitely deep.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:30 am

Well don't I feel a fool :P

The best I could come up with after thinking about this earlier was built in Mode 7 support, but those ideas are great!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:41 am

Fimbul has very good points that I agree with. I would love the ability to fully create IDE windows to create all sorts of tools that Ashley won't. I would also love to be abel to create new objects into C2 base system. Currently it has Number, Text, bool, but I would also love to be able to embed others into the system. there really is a lot. I just personally feel Modularity and asset store the last major foundation elements C2 needs.

but anyways. there are good suggestions here including more enhancements to the IDE. and rho C2 already had large IDE imrovements a few months ago. But more is always welcome.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General