What's the most seamless way to make an extremely large map?

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:49 am

I want to make a world map approximately 100 miles x 100 miles.

To scale the world to my player sprite, I would need about 3.6 million pixels wide.

I am comfortable with using a 1 : 3.6 scale since Construct 2 limits the layout to 1,000,000 pixels wide / tall.

But even still, the tilemap required for that size lags quite a bit, so much that I can't use it.

Would you recommend using a layout grid? I have yet to buy Construct 2's full version (I'm working on it though) so I am limited by events. Perhaps once the player reaches the top edge of a 10 mile x 10 mile area "A5" they are moved to a corresponded area in area "A4"?

I'm open to ideas. I don't want to use a ton of events (preferable less than 15, but I'll consider up to 20) but I want a huge map ;-;
B
21
S
14
G
16
Posts: 16
Reputation: 10,407

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:28 am

@Lightside Personally I have tried creating a test for an infinite semi auto-generated map. Check out this game in the arcade https://www.scirra.com/arcade/rpg-games/minero-11875. Basically you need to load all your map configurations in a json file and load and generate them on demand. You also need to remove all unused tilemaps to avoid memory issues.

Is your game a top view shooter or a side view platformer.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
88
S
30
G
12
Posts: 139
Reputation: 11,867

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:08 am

pinoypixel wrote:@Lightside Personally I have tried creating a test for an infinite semi auto-generated map. Check out this game in the arcade https://www.scirra.com/arcade/rpg-games/minero-11875. Basically you need to load all your map configurations in a json file and load and generate them on demand. You also need to remove all unused tilemaps to avoid memory issues.

Is your game a top view shooter or a side view platformer.


I'm working on a top down shooter, and I don't want to use random generation (awesome concept though). Simply put, the world I want to make is massive, and a 1,000,000 pixel wide tilemap would most likely lag quite a lot. Any ways to get around that?
B
21
S
14
G
16
Posts: 16
Reputation: 10,407

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:13 am

I used to have a prototype of something you want to do. I made it by having 9 coordinates (9 tilemaps) loaded at the same time. then every time my character walks i would load the other 9 coordinates adjacent to the player, and delete the non-adjacent ones. It is little trouble some since you need to manually handle the creation and deletion of the tilemaps. There is no work around on these since it will affect your game's performance https://www.scirra.com/forum/objects-not-in-view-affect-perfromance_t79662. I recommend to always check the number of objects running in your game (system expression objectcount). If you are doing mobile roughly reduce your active objects to 30-50. If you are doing desktop maybe less than 100.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
88
S
30
G
12
Posts: 139
Reputation: 11,867

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:17 am

By the way, how can you get 15 fanatic badges if your join date is only a year ago? can tell me the secret?
sleep is only for the weak!
B
88
S
30
G
12
Posts: 139
Reputation: 11,867

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 am

pinoypixel wrote:By the way, how can you get 15 fanatic badges if your join date is only a year ago? can tell me the secret?


No need to answer this one. I already know. I think Scirra website has an issue.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
88
S
30
G
12
Posts: 139
Reputation: 11,867

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:28 am

pinoypixel wrote:I used to have a prototype of something you want to do. I made it by having 9 coordinates (9 tilemaps) loaded at the same time. then every time my character walks i would load the other 9 coordinates adjacent to the player, and delete the non-adjacent ones. It is little trouble some since you need to manually handle the creation and deletion of the tilemaps. There is no work around on these since it will affect your game's performance https://www.scirra.com/forum/objects-not-in-view-affect-perfromance_t79662. I recommend to always check the number of objects running in your game (system expression objectcount). If you are doing mobile roughly reduce your active objects to 30-50. If you are doing desktop maybe less than 100.


re-uping this in case my internet didn't send it,, basically I said something like this:

Object count wont be much of an issue for me, other than the insane size of one of the tilemaps,,, but perhaps having multiple small tilemaps will make it easier to make (for some reason I get lag using the tilemap editor if it's really large (one million pixels wide), and it's actually made my laptop crash before. I have a 2.0ghz quad processor on my laptop sooo.. idk....

as far as the fanatic badges, it's a bug, I have checked in every day for a couple months, but on some days it says I've been online for 600+ days straight... if you look at the badge counts, more people have fanatic badges than dedicated badges.... I'm not sure what triggers the bug
B
21
S
14
G
16
Posts: 16
Reputation: 10,407


Return to Beginner's Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest