When To Start Looking for Music/SFX

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey everyone,

Just an opinion related question here. Where in the development process do you feel it's time to start looking for music/sfx to put in your game? That is of course assuming you end up going the freelancing route.

I am currently in the alpha stages and getting close to a beta. I had originally planned on taking care of things towards the end of my beta, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should take care of it at the start of beta, so there will be plenty of time for whichever composer I end up working with.

What do you guys think?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Well, music and sfx are probably the easiest thing to add in. There's plenty of free game music out there, and people who will sell you game music, including (probably) the Scirra store. The problem with spending money on such (and graphics) is if your game isn't profitable - and most aren't - then it is down the drain.
My tutorial through development blog is at http://myconstruct2dev.blogspot.co.uk/
B
S

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:07 pm

I considered going the free route, but also wanted to give the freelance crowd a try. The funny thing is, I don't plan on charging any money for my game, or making much of any profit to be honest. It's my first full-length game so I'd like to build up some experience before trying that. That being said, are rates for freelance composers generally high? I'm sure it depends on the composer, but just in general I'm wondering.
Last edited by Megabeard on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:25 pm

I started with a post on a musicians subreddit and got around 20 replys within a few hours many of which wanted some set rate but others were more flexible and a few just wanted their music in a game. If you are in the alpha/beta stages of the game you should put yourself out there and find something.. without any money to give incentive for their work or any planned income from the game your choices are going to be more limited but you should still have some options.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Very good insight, thank you!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:18 am

If you want to collaborate with artists, I would suggest freelance sites. There are some sites where you can listen to the music and buy them if you think they are appropriate.
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:49 am

As a composer myself, I always prefer to get involved sooner rather than later. It gives me more time to find the 'sound' of the game. There are plenty of royalty free sites for music, but if you can find somebody looking for 'experience' or even find the budget for a composer, then you'll get something unique and more suited to your game :)
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:11 am

Well, music and sfx are probably the easiest thing to add in. There's plenty of free game music out there.
you can try to refer in comments.
Thanks
B

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:28 pm

I'm adding basic sounds early and some music, however that will change before completion, I just got fed up of testing it in silence.
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:52 pm

dude i'm using FL studio to make me music loops for my games. it's so easy, so funny, and so free -- the demo versión that is, which dont allow you save your projects... a bit like improvising innit.

music gets you the atmosphere. depending on the game, that can be crucial. i like to add some drafty soundtrack rather early.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas