Which do you prefer: Pixel Art or "Polished" Art?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:51 am

i am finishing up my game (2D action platformer), and wanted to know what to update the placeholder sprites with: pixel art characters/environment or contemporary/polished art?

I know different folks have different preferences, likes, and dislikes...but assuming the same game, the same mechanics, which graphic type do you prefer, which graphic type attracts you and peeks your interest in wanting to give it a shot and play?

if you have already made, sold/distributed games what is your first-hand experience on what the mainstream, casual gamers prefer based on your experience?

any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:24 am

ehh.. style might determine what kind of people are attracted to the game, but if it is drawn terribly it might not attract anyone.
So I would do whichever style I have confidence in creating- whichever is better for development, etc, if it doesn't matter who your audience is.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:47 am

If you can do both I would prefer high res art....

It makes look the game more professional - but of cause it's way more work to create a game with stunning gfx looking good.
With pixel art IMHO the gameplay must be something 'special' to gain interrest (there are so many little games put together with pixel art).
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:58 am

I personally prefer pixel art but I don't have the time nor patience to learn it so I use Vectors.
I can only speak from preference though.
I have not made a decent game yet.
At least not decent enough to have attracted a good amount of downloads.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 am

Personally, I can't draw at all, I have pretty much zero artistic ability but I can produce okay pixel graphics and I can 3D model.
So when working on other titles, I have produced a 3d model and then run renders and normal maps through photoshop to produce the textures for it with good results. Currently I am moving away from this and trying to produce pixel/sprite art for 2d titles entirely by hand but the results are very mixed and sometimes inconsistent.

So, I would say use whatever art style you can produce best and that you think fits with the game
You want your game to look the best it can, so produce whatever style you have confidence in.
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 am

I prefer pixel art, for taste and because it is easier to work
Open for Commission, contact email > [email protected]

my personal website with news in my game developer adventure! |

adult ( 18) pixel art games
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 am

"polished" art is not real what you think, there a lot of different styles such as photography, ink, vectors, watercolor, etc.

It depends on your creativity of your game.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 am

Pixel art is much more easier and less time consuming , But if you are a hardcore creative art designer go for polished art :)
Last edited by vijkumar219 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
B

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:53 pm

I prefer pixel art, if it's *good*. It requires polish and skill to look appealing, just like any game art.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:22 pm

ErekT wrote:I prefer pixel art, if it's *good*. It requires polish and skill to look appealing, just like any game art.

Exactly this. There are different qualities of pixel art, just as there is for vector art or any other type of art style.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas