Which do you prefer: Pixel Art or "Polished" Art?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:03 pm

I prefer pixel art too, I do pixel art and for me it's easy and quicker than vector art.
I can't explain why but, for the moment, I prefer buying and playing indie games with pixel art.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Pixel Art is not easy. Crappy pixel art is. As it seems easier to get away with mistakes. But these mistakes will obviously be perceived by Players and your game will end up inevitably suffering from it.

In Pixel Art is much more important to have a good understanding at how colors work. Since there's less colors, their interaction becomes really important.

And no, a pixel art game doesn't look in any way less professional than any other type of game. At the end is all a matter of presentation.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:07 am

Pixel art representing golden gaming era and somehow resemblance mosaic art. No doubt pixel art always associated with something related to video games.

Different story for my own game project, good-enough looking graphics will be my concern to do art. It can be vector art or something else since the graphic software support vector & raster creation.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:02 am

Depends. Actually as any other style. Graphics in every style could be good looking or not. Personally i prefer to draw pixelart
B
S

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:18 am

FraktalZero wrote:Pixel Art is not easy. Crappy pixel art is. As it seems easier to get away with mistakes. But these mistakes will obviously be perceived by Players and your game will end up inevitably suffering from it.

In Pixel Art is much more important to have a good understanding at how colors work. Since there's less colors, their interaction becomes really important.

And no, a pixel art game doesn't look in any way less professional than any other type of game. At the end is all a matter of presentation.

that is your point, I feel good for being easier to build the game in pixel art, but I agree what you said about the colors, actually pixel art only has colors and squares, so you need to have some skill to do cool things (as like any other area)
Open for Commission, contact email > [email protected]

my personal website with news in my game developer adventure! |

adult ( 18) pixel art games
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:03 am

first let me thank everyone for their wonderful and honest opinions. that means a lot to me and helps guide me in the direction of selecting the final artwork for the game.

second, i'd like to share on this thread sources for free game art to help you in your games...if you are a experienced game developer you may know of these sites below (and probably a lot more), but this is what i've come across and would like to share with you:

free pixel art: http://www.openpixelproject.com/

free art, sound, music: http://opengameart.org/

free vector art: http://www.zipup.me/

thank you everyone for your advice, recommendations, and help...hope the above links are of some value to you.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Both are beautiful styles in their own right. It's just a matter of how they are implemented into a project. =]
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:16 am

Right now I think Clash of Clans, or Angry Birds type art is quite popular, but it all depends on the feeling you want to give the player, the type of game and the Audience. "Hyper light drifter" style is probably my favorite when it comes to pixel art. Looks more modern yet retro. Games like "Below" looks retro looks a bit retro but is not pixel art. Play around with it, find some games that inspire you.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:57 am

i prefer pixel art, it could be hi resolution pixel art and look neat. It's not easy as everybody say, doing pixel art is a lot of work, you don't have a lot of freedom in styles. I do both pixel art and vector/canvas.
Today you have a lot of software for drawing but pixel art is almost the same.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas