Who plans to write a C2 runtime with the EDK?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:02 pm

@Arima You read my mind. By using those libraries only one exporter would be needed. They minimize cross platform differences very significantly. However, the creator of the exporter would need excellent knowledge of C (not C++). You can use C++ with them, but to do cross mobile platform, C99 is still the ticket.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 pm

What about programs that convert html5 apps into other "run-times".. does not Phone-gap convert html5 code into native Android or IOS programs? (or is it more like a "packaged" html5?)

Could someone not right a converter that turns html5 into PC .exe files, Xbox apps, etc?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 pm

that's possible, but I suspect the native c2 xml would be the most simple, rather than exporting first to html5, given that xml is made to be a markup language that focuses solely on documents and arbitrary data structures, and in the c2 caps that's how it looks, just the information you'd need for a runtime to interpret, and a little info about the editor settings, whereas the html5 will have alot of implementation specific commands to contend with.lucid2012-02-15 06:25:45
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 am

Reading through this, I honestly think an EXE runtime will never come for C2. At this point, I believe if it's done, it won't be done by Scirra, HTML5 is the way they want to go and that's it.

The only real possibility I see, it's a complete new engine, like a native version of C2 ( Whether from Scirra or not ). ?_?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Yeah it's native vs web hell. I wonder how this will end. Web is great but how it is now it's just now suitable for all cases. Hell, 99,9% (100% trully) games that i play are native games.
I too think that native c2 would have to be a new engine. The runtimes are just too different. An EDK to support this would be like a new Construct being coded from the ground up. The best chance right now is using a web runtime inside a desktop shell. I don't think that's the right way though. Anyway, my hopes are still on NaCL. I feel like i'm the only one that think that way :(. It's the most promising technology right now i think. And if PNaCL(Portable NaCL) becomes a reality it would solve all our problems (i hope). These are times of uncertainty. So it's better to not dive too deep on this just yet... Damn i better go learn some UnityKiyoshi2012-02-18 16:17:09
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 pm

well, just as a proof of concept I made a superlimited eventsheet xml to ConstructClassic plugin c++ code converter.

It's too limited to be useful, but I did it in about 3 hours, part of which was making an xml reader from TinyXML++ library. It's completely plausible that someone could write a more complete one to convert limited caps with a greater number of ACE entries, that can include the needed objects, etc for any given target platform.

for this example, we're assuming I've written code to include the objects, and they are stored in here:
map<CString,CRunObject*> objs;
this method would only store one of each type, but that's due to me rushing not to any limit of the parsing technique.

so, the only supported ACE as of now are:
Conditions:
--Every Tick:

Actions:
--Set Position
--Set Angle

as an example, I took the eventsheet from this file here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1013446/forumhelp/exampleoftranslation.capx

and it creates the following c++ cc plugin code:
[quote=proof of concept code translator]objs["rar"]->info.angle=360;
objs["rar"]->UpdateBoundingBox();

objs["rar"]->info.x=0;
objs["rar"]->info.y=0;

objs["rar"]->info.x=65;
objs["rar"]->info.y=80;

objs["rar"]->info.x=45;
objs["rar"]->info.y=80;

objs["rar"]->info.x=44;
objs["rar"]->info.y=55;

objs["twi"]->info.angle=45;
objs["twi"]->UpdateBoundingBox();

objs["twi"]->info.x=14;
objs["twi"]->info.y=255;
objs["twi"]->UpdateBoundingBox();[/quote]

you'll notice it skipped the start of layout, which also proves it is reading and interpreting the conditions.

As I stated previously, with a little time, someone could make a barebones runtime, with system conditions, and sprite objects, and text objects. An android or iphone native runtime with even those limited features would be a godsend with c2's awesomeness. if it was developed correctly, it could be extended by community members, by having all objects derived from a base type. It's a perfectly viable alternative to waiting for an EDK for anyone who wants to do something like this.lucid2012-02-20 05:01:10
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:08 am

@lucid,

B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:26 am

[QUOTE=Arima] Hmm... interesting idea. What about exporting to something like allegro or SDL? Could then C2 hit Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android with one exporter? Or are there too many differences between the platforms even using a framework like those?[/QUOTE]

Rather than SDL, how about the more modern SFML?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I thought about that, but didn't list it because doesn't export to iphone or android. Upon researching more they said they're going to add at least iOS support eventually though, and I'm actually not sure how well iOS or android is supported by the others, so I suppose it could be a good option as well.Arima2012-02-19 16:15:30
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic