Who wants CocoonJS support back?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:03 am

Holy shit, that was quick.

+ 1 What Silverforce, roberto and hollowthreat said.

I think it is WAY too early for this. A year from now - maybe - when people have moved to iOS 8 and PhoneGap is proven to work, this could be the way to go. Like it or not, CocoonJS is still the best option when publishing for iOS.

Sigh. As much as I love C2, things have taken some weird and unexpected turns lately and tbh I feel really uneasy to keep using C2 as a professional tool. I understand it is still possible to use CJS, but jumping through some extra hoops to export the only way that works for me... well.

We will see.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:45 am

@Silverforce

good point about iOS publishing options

@hollowthreat

good point about supporting github CocoonJS plugin
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:31 am

We can go to Ludei's Github to download latest opensource CocoonJS plugin,
and if Ashley don't want to see any bug report about CocooJS,
we can just go to Ludei's poor community site or Github, that's OK.

What I am afraid is:
Deprecating CocoonJS to hidden expoter maybe means Ashley won't maintain the exporter itself anymore, and if someday CocoonJS made even minor change which affected CocoonJS exporter of C2, our projects will die immediately and forever.

I beg Ashley support back CocoonJS,
even exporter itself is enough.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:01 am

It will be fine, bugs and whatever will be fixed on GitHub, its no big deal.

What's a bigger deal, is if Ludei went out of business, their SDK integration relies on their own servers to communicate with Google (for IAPs) or MoPub. If they close down, your Ads won't show and your IAPs won't work. :o

This is why I like Intel XDK, since the AdMob & IAP plugin calls directly to Google SDK.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 am

Silverforce wrote:It will be fine, bugs and whatever will be fixed on GitHub, its no big deal.

What's a bigger deal, is if Ludei went out of business, their SDK integration relies on their own servers to communicate with Google (for IAPs) or MoPub. If they close down, your Ads won't show and your IAPs won't work. :o

This is why I like Intel XDK, since the AdMob & IAP plugin calls directly to Google SDK.

Good points. Also, this is more about timing than anything else. I think it is clear that CJS is slowly but surely getting old, but right now it is still the best solution we have.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:35 am

I have wasted days, trying to get something useful out of Ejecta and Crosswalk, but it is miles away from anything i could sell to a client.
With no official CocoonJS support the iOS and Android icons should be removed from the scirra front page, because that is misleading.

Scirra deprecating CocoonJS is like if Microsoft drops support for the mouse as an input device, because in a few years everybody will use a touchscreen anyway.

CocoonJS should not be deprecated, but actively supported, as it is vital for many developers!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:02 am

It seems a little premature to drop CocoonJS in my opinion. I mean wouldn't it be better to wait until iOS8 is out and the performance of the other wrappers have been proved to be of at least equal quality and feature support? My biggest concern is there doesn't seem to be another iOS wrapper that performs as well.

Also recently Ludei has ironed out a lot of bugs such as restore purchase and apparently solved the IAP iOS bug (well still waiting for my apple review but others have confirmed this to be fixed). You just have to get the latest version from github.

It depends what depreciate means in this context. If the export functionality still behaves the same way but its just hidden then that's fine I guess. However, it will mean if the exporter becomes outdated/stops working then it wont be fixed. This would be sad IF there are no better alternatives.
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 am

The cocoonjs may have its problems, but it is definitely the best option at the moment. The crosswalk still needs more updates, and support for WebGL be greater in most mobile phones.
Got great results using the platform of Ludei and sincerely believe that was a big mistake of Scirra, do this without consulting the opnion of users.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:26 am

szymek wrote:"Cocoonjs is a clunky exporter that scirra cannot control in any way possible"

not counting memory management issues, this clunky exporter is still better than Crosswalk. Yes or No? :D

I think it is unstable on some devices, and if we are going to not count the memory management issue, we might as well not talk about the performances issues of crosswalk, except for small games.

At the end cocoonjs is a fine product by itself, but it should not be advertised as a c2 exporter, which is what depreciating it means
Ps: also i think ludei wants to make cocoonjs compatible with the html5 export itself too, and since cocoonjs should support html5 apsp, and not the other way around, it is fine.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:41 am

I'm also used CJS to make my mobile games. Crosswalk is too much for me. Maybe... :P
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General