Who wants CocoonJS support back?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:44 pm

early last year i made an html5 productivity app and i wrapped it with phonegap for ios

all i had to do was download the phonegap zip, run a script file on mac, and compile using xcode

i did not have to download megabytes of files, install thousands of sdks etc

the final app was 1.5mb in size!

i don't know if things changed from 2013 to now. i see that now phonegap is a product of adobe. is cordova the same thing?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:57 pm

I'd love to get rid of Cocoon... but it's the only program that allows me to use the text box to enter names into my game.

For the time being, I'm sadly stuck with it!
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:59 pm

We've tried all the alternatives, but so far our apps always perform much better in CocoonJS (despite all of its problems).

For this reason, I think it's better to continue providing the option of using CJS, in the exporters list. People should be able to choose the solution which best suits their needs (and for us that's CocoonJS).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:17 am

AnD4D wrote:I'd love to get rid of Cocoon... but it's the only program that allows me to use the text box to enter names into my game.

Is there a problem with the basic textboxes of C2?
Blacksmith wrote:We've tried all the alternatives, but so far our apps always perform much better in CocoonJS (despite all of its problems).

For this reason, I think it's better to continue providing the option of using CJS, in the exporters list. People should be able to choose the solution which best suits their needs (and for us that's CocoonJS).

This is what has been done, it is just hidden by default so new users don't plan on targetting it.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:43 am

@Aphrodite,

As previously stated, I think the option should continue to be easily available, directly within the exporters list (which is no longer the case)! As you mentioned, the CJS option has now been hidden.

My statement suggested that people should be allowed to choose for themselves, and the CJS option should be presented to ALL users (old or new). This would mean maintaining the option in the exporters list and NOT hiding it!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:05 pm

@Blacksmith but that would imply that scirra is supporting actively this exporter and so, are responsible if there are bugs with it, which is not the case.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:26 pm

It has become impossible to support cocoonjs, and within a year cocoonjs will be obsolete.
Depreciating it now is the right choice.
Remember - Huge difference between depreciating it, and disabling it.
It is still available for anyone wanting to use it. But, it will stop new users from starting a new project with something that is only going to get worse.

I am very happy with this move. I am only sorry it wasn't implemented long ago. Would have saved many many hours of wasted time.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:39 pm

@DUTOIT
Hear, hear, young sir.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:09 pm

Aphrodite wrote:
AnD4D wrote:I'd love to get rid of Cocoon... but it's the only program that allows me to use the text box to enter names into my game.

@Aphrodite - Not to confuse it with the text object. As far as I am aware, textboxes are not supported by the other exporters. I'm using it to allow players to input names on the iPad, but I read and was told that Cocoon is the only one that supports textboxes.
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:15 pm

AnD4D wrote:
Aphrodite wrote:

@Aphrodite - Not to confuse it with the text object. As far as I am aware, textboxes are not supported by the other exporters. I'm using it to allow players to input names on the iPad, but I read and was told that Cocoon is the only one that supports textboxes.

Crosswalk is mobile chrome, so it can do anything that mobile chrome can do.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General