Who wants CocoonJS support back?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:45 pm

I wasnt confusing, cocoonjs is (was?) not supporting textboxes because it is a form control, that was what did not made sense in my head.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 am

@DUTOIT Nice - I'll give that a go then! I'm somewhat worried that it won't be able to handle it, but we'll see. Thought Crosswalk was only for Android. I've been away for too long!
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:44 pm

AnD4D wrote:@DUTOIT Nice - I'll give that a go then! I'm somewhat worried that it won't be able to handle it, but we'll see. Thought Crosswalk was only for Android. I've been away for too long!

Ejecta is for iOS and
Crosswalk is for Android.
From iOS 8+ and Android L+ PhoneGap will be the way to go.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:48 pm

One thing that didn't come out in our discussion is that Cocoon can also work as an Ouya exporter. Anyone actually used it to release a game there?
While I didn't personally fiddle with this specific option yet, I consider it relatively important. Are there other tools/ android based exporters that can be used as alternatives to CJS for this?
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:17 am

What's the alternative way to quickly preview game on my Android phone with Cocoon?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:37 am

jook, there is a url bar within cocoonjs app where you can enter your local address for wifi to test your game. I think it's the same address you see when in Construct 2 and press F5 to preview in your browser.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:52 am

@delaflaquita I put in "http://localhost:50000/" and it didn't work. It says, "Server not available".
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:31 am

I believe cocoonJS should be gone and stay gone. Ad support through mopub had terrible implementation/ad fill rates, the splash screen was a blinky nightmare and the launcher crashed too much. Crosswalk with the apache plugins is the near perfect solution(at least for android, I have never developed for ios).
Download my game ROWyerBOAT on android for free here!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:21 am

are crosswalk and phonegad wrapper / browser like ejecta and cocoonjs ? or they are real engine ?

if they are real engine , they should be faster

remember that if we have some bad performance / fsp with cocconjs and ejecta that because they are wrapper (like emulation)

and ... are crosswalk and phonegab supporting canvas2d ? (i don't interested about webgl even i developp for iphone 4)

thanks in advance for the person who will reply
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 am

jook00 wrote:@delaflaquita I put in "http://localhost:50000/" and it didn't work. It says, "Server not available".

You need to enable the preview over wifi inside C2

@matrixreal it is not as easy as that, cocoonJS and Ejecta are actually engines, they are just not based off nor working like browsers engines, and so they lack some features (notably every form control, but not only), also while ejecta is open source , cocoonjs is maintained by ludei, and they have troubles so their focus is not what it should be (I think they are trying to have an investor so they can get up again, but it does not seem to bode well for them).

Crosswalk is chrome for android combined with you game, as an apk with some API access (so based on an open source browser engine, an maintained by companies with a assured future before them), phonegap is basically just the game communicating with the webview of the device and the APIs (basically it runs on the integrated browser engine on all android and iOS devices, however it is not that great until android L and iOS8).

Also all of them supports canvas2D, to be exact, if webGL is not possible, canvas2D will be used as a fallback
Webgl tends to be faster, except in some particular cases, so it is recommended to let it on, but you can set it off inside C2 if you ever need it.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General