Who wants CocoonJS support back?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:38 am

I hope nobody thinks I'm being a dick by pointing this out, but I can't help but feel that Ludei's recent return to action + blog post comes as too little too late: an entirely reactive response that speaks of scrambling rather than genuinely giving a damn about this community. You need only look at @Ludei's forum posting history to get a sense of the real issues (try comparing it to @IntelRobert's or some of the other Intel team members). I've moved forward with XDK, and I'm very impressed by how far it's come since I last needed something mobile. CocoonJS was the best option that many of us had, but then they dropped the ball: no updates, vague responses to important questions, broken plugin, that open source thing that we all got so excited about.

I was a firm supporter of CJS but only because they were the best option at a stage. I hope then that they manage to catch up and surpass the competition, but only because I want to see the final packaging and distribution parts of Construct simplified. For now, I'll hold off on returning to CJS until they actually do the things we've been asking about for ages. As always, actions speak far louder than words. Not to downplay the improvements that CJS has made over time, but there's still a long way to go. I do hope that we'll get there.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:43 am

robotecollective wrote:Ok, so I downloaded the latest CJS-plugin build from GitHub, and...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45952665/CocoonJS_Error.PNG

:lol:

Soo, what am I doing wrong here? I can preview the game normally when I press retry/ignore and even build it to my iPhone without problems.

I am using beta r181, by the way.

That error seems a native HTML5 exporter error.
Please, check if you didn't delete anything by error. We do not interfere with that exporter.
We tested the plugin in the r179 version and also in the r180 and it worked just fine.

Cheers.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:54 pm

@Ludei what about memory management?!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:27 pm

GeometriX wrote:I hope nobody thinks I'm being a dick by pointing this out, but I can't help but feel that Ludei's recent return to action + blog post comes as too little too late: an entirely reactive response that speaks of scrambling rather than genuinely giving a damn about this community. You need only look at @Ludei's forum posting history to get a sense of the real issues (try comparing it to @IntelRobert's or some of the other Intel team members). I've moved forward with XDK, and I'm very impressed by how far it's come since I last needed something mobile. CocoonJS was the best option that many of us had, but then they dropped the ball: no updates, vague responses to important questions, broken plugin, that open source thing that we all got so excited about.

I was a firm supporter of CJS but only because they were the best option at a stage. I hope then that they manage to catch up and surpass the competition, but only because I want to see the final packaging and distribution parts of Construct simplified. For now, I'll hold off on returning to CJS until they actually do the things we've been asking about for ages. As always, actions speak far louder than words. Not to downplay the improvements that CJS has made over time, but there's still a long way to go. I do hope that we'll get there.

My thoughts exactly (except for being a supporter of them, I always preferred long and mid term solutions than working things for 6 month max without breaking), however, I would maybe say that @ludei could start a new thread "your experience with cocoonJS" here on the forums, the same way the crosswalk one is working, so people could complain and report bugs in the good place, and ludei would be able to track them down.

I am thinking of this for the users' that have chosen cocoonJS sake, they would be able to see if this is only eyecandy or if there are real results, since it has not been really worth the time in the past due to severe breaking and lack of support.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:18 pm

We know there are some open issues regarding the interaction between CocoonJS and Construct2.

One of them, as you are already asking, is the memory management. We still are investigating how to fix it. We do not have an optimal solution yet. However, we would like to ask here for some help. If anyone can provide a Construct2 .capx file that does not have any memory problem with Ejecta and yes with CocoonJS would be really useful. We are trying to guess why the reference to the image files are not deleted, because the img.dispose() function works with other game engines (and we use it in our games, also).

On the other hand, we are aware of the problem regarding the blinking screen, or flickering, which takes place due to the canvas+ process that handles graphic buffers. This issue may happen to some engines, and we're finding the solution that fits every engine without breaking the compatibility with others.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:32 pm

ludei wrote:We hope to see more Construct2's games published using CocoonJS ;).

I doubt this very much.

Seriously, CocoonJS was the only option, then it was the best option, now it isn't even a viable option.
It's just a matter of months and CocoonJS won't even need to be an option.
We have tested other options, and believe it or not, they are really really good and they have
Great service. Great support. And Hands on approach to sorting out bugs. Something that CocoonJS never cared for.
Last edited by DUTOIT on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:32 pm

ludei wrote:
Slice wrote:
TheWyrm wrote:@Slice you turn the export back on again, but Scirra is no longer supporting it.

Hello @TheWyrm

How to activate the export ? You know ?

Hello @Slice,

Just use mouse right click in the "Choose a platform to export to" window and select "Show deprecated exporters".

Cheers.

Thank you @ludei :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:38 am

DUTOIT wrote:
ludei wrote:We hope to see more Construct2's games published using CocoonJS ;).

I doubt this very much.

Seriously, CocoonJS was the only option, then it was the best option, now it isn't even a viable option.
It's just a matter of months and CocoonJS won't even need to be an option.
We have tested other options, and believe it or not, they are really really good and they have
Great service. Great support. And Hands on approach to sorting out bugs. Something that CocoonJS never cared for.

Which options are you talking about?
PhoneGap with an app limitation of 15MB?
Ejecta which just shows me a blackscreen?
CocoonJS also offers a really nice way to debug games with the launcher. As an iOs developer this is awesome! Exporting an app to the mac, decompile it etc takes about 20 - 30 Minutes!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:40 am

I've never had a single problem with CJS either. They are still my goto wrapper, and sounds like they are making an effort.

@Ludei, the flicker gone on the image would be great. I think in the mean time if you can add some text to the image saying LOADING... or something to effect, it will at least let users know the game is indeed loading.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:56 am

I totally agree with you ArcacEd! And it would be awesome if there'd be an option not to show the ludei logo. I wouldn't mind paying for this!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General