Why Construct 3 goes backwards instead of forward

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:35 am

jbadams wrote:Isn't subscription really better for poorer people or those in poorer countries though? They've said there will still be a free version, and this way when you outgrow free or need a licence the up-front payment is smaller than it would have otherwise been.

I live in Romania (which may not classify as a poor country, but is also far from being rich) and I would chose a one time fee over a monthly fee any time of the week (yes, even if it is much more than the monthly fee)
I know if I were to buy a product like C3/C2, there is no point wasting money on a subscription on a product I would use a long long time.

Also, paying the price of C2 every month would be an enormous investment, for something that has not yet shown why it deserves it, that I simply cannot ask my parents to make. Especially considering 1USD is 4.20RON right now...
EDIT: It's actually 100$ per year, so it's not as bad, but still way too much when C2 FLOWERS EXISTS

It would be much better if it was like this: 100$ upfront for the engine and 20/30$ subscription for online. That way you would pay once a reasonable amount and if you wanted the online feature, you would pay monthly a reasonable amount.

jbadams wrote:As long as the offline support works well and it performs well on potentially weaker hardware I see it as a win for those users.

I have used C2 on this laptop for a couple of months:
http://www.emag.ro/laptop-sony-vaio-cu- ... EYT9KBBBM/
(AMD E2-1800 processor; Radeon HD 7340)

And it worked on it really well!
Also, if you are going into game development seriously, you are not going to do it on grandma's 20 year old laptop...
And those who are starting in game development aren't going to use C3 because it isn't the first thing that comes up when you google "How to make a video game"... (In fact Construct 1/2 (or 3 obviously) aren't even mentioned on the first 10 pages...)
Last edited by TRMG on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:04 am

* Students - There is still a free version of C3, why do you need a full verion for learning. I used C2 free version for a year learning it before I bought it.
* People living in poor countries - I think C3 is still one of the cheapest options out there. Should they get discount to people because of where you're from? Imagine the rage from others. I think the price is very affordable, even in poor countries. About 8$ per month?, get some support from family and friends if they want to support your game making.
* People having a bad financial situation - Are you suggesting a pity discount for poor people?
* Designers focusing on non-profits - There is still a free version of C3. If you are a non profit, why not collect money for a licence by donations?
* Designers focusing on experimentation - There is still a free version of C3, I bet it's perfectly fine to experiment with.
* Anyone that was considering Construct 3, since they can use other engines for free. There is still a free version of C3

All in all, from what I've read C3 will have a free option just like C2. How is that not catering for all of the above mentioned?

If you will only be using C3 for the above reasons, why would you need a full licence?
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:31 am

tunepunk wrote:* Students - There is still a free version of C3, why do you need a full verion for learning. I used C2 free version for a year learning it before I bought it.
* People living in poor countries - I think C3 is still one of the cheapest options out there. Should they get discount to people because of where you're from? Imagine the rage from others. I think the price is very affordable, even in poor countries. About 8$ per month?, get some support from family and friends if they want to support your game making.
* People having a bad financial situation - Are you suggesting a pity discount for poor people?
* Designers focusing on non-profits - There is still a free version of C3. If you are a non profit, why not collect money for a licence by donations?
* Designers focusing on experimentation - There is still a free version of C3, I bet it's perfectly fine to experiment with.
* Anyone that was considering Construct 3, since they can use other engines for free. There is still a free version of C3

All in all, from what I've read C3 will have a free option just like C2. How is that not catering for all of the above mentioned?

If you will only be using C3 for the above reasons, why would you need a full licence?

Yea, but why choose C3 vs C2?
All of the things said above apply to C2 and it has a much more lenient payment method. (You know, for those who don't have the money to throw around for nothing in return...)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:37 am

You can continue to use Construct 2, there are no plans to stop updates to it. It will continue as it has done for the last year or so. We're not forcing anyone onto Construct 3, and we think Construct 2 still has a healthy life ahead as a powerful tool!
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:37 pm

tunepunk wrote:* Students - There is still a free version of C3, why do you need a full verion for learning. I used C2 free version for a year learning it before I bought it.

Why mention so much the "free" version of C3?

If its like the "free" version of C2, it will be borderline useless.
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm

notnsane wrote:I'm fine with anything that uses HTML5 for good.

So does that imply that you're not ok if I want to use it for something.....evil? :twisted:

B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:52 pm

lol!
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:49 pm

This thread seems to be focused at the subscription model.

Honestly, Scirra simply needs to parse up C3 into feature modules, charge a flat fee for some, charge a recurring fee for others, and have an enterprise-like "if you make money, pay us x amount" kind of schemes.

Then devs can buy what they need from the smörgåsborg of features. (Maybe have a trial period featuresets?)

They just need to gradiate their feature list <--> pricing scheme.

Not having a basic, free version of C3 would be a very severe mistake.
https://www.ravenheart.ca/home
Company name changed to avoid Facebook-type shenanigans

"Someone once told me I bite off more than I can chew...

I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity."
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:11 pm

I totally understand they have to make money. I get it

What i don't understand is what exactly leads them to believe C3 warrants a subscription when you have a market that's dominated by Unity, which is free until you make a substantial amount of money from your games, and Unreal who charges 5% of your revenue

Both these engines are far more capable than the competitors because they have to financial means and manpower behind them so in order for someone to compete they need to offer something else

So for me the lure of C2 was the simplicity of it all but there are other competitors in this area some of which offers their tools as a one time purchase

So what exactly will C3 be offering that not only sets it apart from the giants in the market but also justifies a subscription?

Right now, i sure don't see it
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 pm

jn2002dk wrote:So what exactly will C3 be offering that not only sets it apart from the giants in the market but also justifies a subscription?

Everyone is wondering the exact same thing right now. But fear not. The info dribble will clear all questions and concerns.

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion