Why do you use Construct 2?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 am

I use Construct 2 for rapid prototyping and, as far as I can tell, there's no better tool on the market for that purpose. Very straight forward and intuitive. Even if you don't know how to do something, you just open event editor and it starts to give you directions.

For me the strongest point of Construct2 is the Event Editor - it's very well thought out, clean and flexible - if you have programming experience you will feel like fish in the water. Stencil's logic editor feels retarded, ultra-slow and clunky after you've worked with C2.

I pretty much don't care about HTML5 vs Native, because I use it strictly for rapid prototyping. I've already prototyped all possible casual and board games with it, and I can tell, you can do pretty much everything with C2.

Another very good thing is a very helpful community and huge plugins/behaviors repository.     xoros2013-01-02 12:06:50
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:20 pm

I use C2 because it is a simple yet powerful tool for making games. Scirra does a great job on making it even better and regulary updated. It comes at a fair price and the usage of the license is not limited (for ex. you can install it as many times as you want).

I used GM, it is also a great tool. However YoYoGames does a sh*tty job with the licenses: If I buy a product I want to have it, activate it as many times I need for my PC.

So, Scirra seems more open, the community is great and helpful.
My favourite part in C2 is the Event Sheet and the full documentation. First one is easy to use, logical. The 2nd one is really helpful to all users, not just beginners.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:25 pm

More than one year ago, I needed to create tactile kiosks for clients. I tested several HTML5 framework, because I needed something working on iOS and Android as well (I don't choose what client have in their store).

At that time, on an iPad 2, an exported C2 game worked well, without slowing down (online things I also tested), and I could give the project .capx of a game to the girl in charge for the graphical stuff, and the guy in charge for the sounds. They weren't dev, but could easilly change things related to their work.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Anyways , C2 need an ingame debugger ... that shows a message at the right of the screen whenever an event is executed , that would HUGELY help finding problems in the code !
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 pm

The main reason I use it is to avoid the logistical nightmare of setting everything up yourself in code. So far at least, the pre-built behaviours seem tweakable enough to do pretty much anything you want. Importing assets is easy and fast. It's a massive time-saver.

I never tried GM so I can't say anything about how they compare. I hear scary things though. And the DRM is a real turnoff.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:03 am

I wanna join

because hand coding reinvents many parts of the wheel. even when using a custom library of reusable code or a full fledged api.

Also it's better at keeping errors out of game. While they do crop up, it's no where as prevalent as doing code.

Major time saver.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 pm

Flexibility+simplicity+game design=c2
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I use it because of it's features and constant updates. Gotta love receiving that email saying a new update is avaliable!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:20 am

Super flexible, super fast, super easy to learn, super powerful, does not compromise power for ease of use, super fast*2, the people behind it are nice.
Gives ANYONE the chance to create nice games without the need to learn the program's own gibberish and ending up consuming more time learning the gibber than working on the actual game... C2 does not do this, it lets everybody create equally powerful games and I do not know any other game making software that does this. They are all like "If you do not waste time on learning my gibber code, yer games are gonna suck in comparison to others!", C2 is truly different in that area.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:55 am

Thanks for all the great responses.

So does C2 have any form of code editor built into it?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General