Why does grid not start at 0,0?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Snap to visible grid - perfect solution for any game genre
  • I am unable to drag my tiles into position because my grid doesnt start at 0,0 for some reason!

Am I supposed to specify x and y positions for 100 sprites manually now?

How do I change hotspot?

Couldnt find ANYTHING in manual or Google.

Thanks!

• Your grid starts at 0,0, your origin point is in the middle of the object, thus 20px off-grid. Either move the origin point to a corner or use a 20x20 grid.

• I can only assume that what you are trying to do is snap to the top-left corner of your sprite?

You can either

• set your sprite's origin to that (in the image editor, there's an icon for that on the left side, to set origin and possible other image points), even though that might be undesirable since sprites would then also rotate around that, or
    • set the grid accordingly. So for a 40x40 sprite you'd set a 20x20 grid size, always use half.
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Your grid starts at 0,0, your origin point is in the middle of the object, thus 20px off-grid. Either move the origin point to a corner or use a 20x20 grid.

Some grid shift settings would be quite cool I think, so you could for instant shift the grid it self by a certain X,Y value. But as Somebody said I would do it that way as well.

• If people are expected to set their grid to 20x20 when what they want is a 40x40 grid then maybe there's something wrong with the defaults / system...?

I mean, Photoshop doesnt place your objects outside the canvas when set to snap to grid either.

Also, the origin is exactly what I was looking for.

Wouldnt it be reasonable to call it "Hotspot" and place it in the object properties just like text objects? To keep things consistent?

Thanks guys!!!

• Setting all sprites origins to top left didn't change anything btw.

I had to set the grid to 20x20. Hope this doesnt interfere with my grid based movement or anything.

• Setting all sprites origins to top left didn't change anything btw.

I had to set the grid to 20x20. Hope this doesnt interfere with my grid based movement or anything.

No offence, but you must be doing something wrong then:

• The grid doesn`t interfere in the least with your game logic. The grid is only to facilitate your use of the editor.

Also, I believe the way it works is perfect, if you mus have the hotspot on de middle of the object, use a half sized grid.

• Also, I believe the way it works is perfect, if you mus have the hotspot on de middle of the object, use a half sized grid.

Yeah, but if you need to explain something like that to people, it's probably not logical.

If the user snaps an object to the border of the layout, he expects it to snap to it, not be cut in half with 50-75% of it invisible.

• Or... if the user doesn't see that it snaps to the rather obvious center point after a snap or two, perhaps there's a bit of user error there as well.

C2 is, after all, a game creation system, the rules are a bit different - if it behaved just like Photoshop, for example, when it comes to snapping it would quite likely be a nuisance.

• Or... if the user doesn't see that it snaps to the rather obvious center point after a snap or two, perhaps there's a bit of user error there as well.

Oh, nonono, dont go down that dark path and blame it on the user.

If your app / website / program / car / bottle of water does not work the way people are used to it from similiar, more popular products, you cant expect your users to just guess how it works. You need to explain and find a good reason why it's different.

• Well, that is what I was implying - it is different because you are dealing with an object, not an image. An object that has an origin point that's freely editable - so your operations are based around that origin point.

Say, you have a sprite that's like a turret: O==] - would you want it to snap to every edge or to the center of it, according to the origin point? C2 may have some interesting UI choices now and then, but I wouldn't call this one of them.

• If the user snaps an object to the border of the layout, he expects it to snap to it, not be cut in half with 50-75% of it invisible.

Not really. Snaps do not work with object shapes but with objects Hotspot positions

[attachment=0:17xj6jgn][/attachment:17xj6jgn]

If you were to limit snaps just to the border then you would never placed an object with centered hotspot next to the edge of layout.

Grids are not limited to the layout as well, they are visible only on the layout area but they extend over it.

This is not a typical image editing software where area of work is all what you get. In C2 layout size is just a visual representation of the game screen where you can place objects. Notice that you can place them not only inside the layout but outside too.

And if you turn on Unbounded scrolling then you will see that layout have no limits in size anymore - can have probably infinite size.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)