Why dream of C3? Let's stay focused on C2 for now.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:59 pm

http://www.construct3.com

Time to shift your focus, people ;)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:18 pm

@jayderyu - OK, so you are talking about making fundamental changes "under the hood" and allowing users to have more access, right? I got ya. I'm not an uber-geek when it comes to this stuff, just sort of on the surface right now.
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Eisenhans wrote:http://www.construct3.com

Time to shift your focus, people ;)

kind of quick, but I guess, since they posted it on twitter, that it is ok, and if people can be involved in alpha and beta, why not.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Well looks like the teaser site actually cares for mobile browsing, so perhaps the new main site will also be improved, fingers crossed.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:14 pm

A native tilemap editor in the style of RPG Maker XP, would be incredibly helpful and time saving.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:55 am

A few suggestions if I may:

- Easier way to implement save/load functions and allow multiple save files. I mean, yes we have webstorage and states, but for save files there should be a way we can easily enable it to show completion percentage, levels cleared, etc... perhaps it's probably way more complex that I'm thinking of since I'm obviously not a vet programmer :).

- Advanced lighting features. They've added a light not too long ago, perhaps they can go further. If I recall Clickteam Fusion seems to have more functions with lighting and shadows.

- Like the poster above, a native tile set object/feature like RPG maker, While I do like the more flexible object placement C2 offers, tiles just feel more organized and great for pixel themed games.

- Let Platformer/ 8 direction/ etc behaviors interact with physics. Unless I'm out of the loop and missed an update, I had to make a work around for one of my earlier games to push a block.

- Wipes for transitioning layouts. For example: Fade out, Fade In, White Out, White in, and for those who want to make a zelda type of game is there a way your object can transition to a different layout as if he was walking from one end to another? It's a bit tough to explain, but if you played the first Zelda game I'm talking about how Link moves from screen to screen. RPG maker you have the option to add from and to points on the layout since they used a grid style of editing.

Other than that, good luck!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:28 pm

@jayderyu - so you're hoping that C3 will be a big overhaul for the inner workings of C2, eh? As it stands, I'm mostly on the surface but I can see how advanced users might want more. Heck, I might want more if I knew what to want! Anyway, thanks for the in-depth explanation.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:38 pm

I guess when the time comes, maybe @Ashley can let people who bought a C2 license just pay an upgrade fee instead of having to fork out the full fee... maybe? :)
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:53 pm

PSI wrote:let people who bought a C2 license just pay an upgrade fee instead of having to fork out the full fee

Ashley already promised that. And full compatibility with c2 projects.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:16 pm

I hope so, however I love C2 in general, but I have a bit concerns with C3 to be honest. Reason being that I feel that even though C2 is easy to use and a lot of things keeps getting updated and new features added. There are still a lot of issues hanging around, that doesn't seem to get improved or fix, or reaching the point where they should or could be.
Meaning on the surface there seems to be hardly any limit to what you can do, but the moment you scratch the surface, a lot of the main elements that are needed to make certain types of games are simply not possible. Which starts to get annoying, that its such things that decide what you can do and not do, rather than a lack of imagination.

And personally for me, whenever there is an update, I hope some of these issues are being addressed, but instead its normally just new features, which ofc can be useful. But makes little difference if the main problem is found in a broken/bugged part of C2, that prevent you from doing something regardless of any new features.

So seeing that C3 might be on the way, will most likely mean that C2 will be left in a "broken" state. Which at least to me doesn't encourage me to buy C3, even though it might not be true, I think it gives the impression that they are not all that concerned about quality and good functionality, compared to amount of features, that can be added to a list of things you can do, just as long as you don't really need them.

Personally I see little point in the importance of supporting every single operating system in world, if core of the program, doesn't allow you to really do what I guess most users enjoy when using C2, which is to make and design the games you like, the way or as close to the way you would like them to be.

So I will watch C3 come a long with great concerns for C2 :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General