Why each sound is listed 3 times

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Times Table. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • Ashley Is there a reason why an imported sound is listed three times, each with a different extention? Any imported sounds will have all three types anyway. Am I correct?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the root name of the sound only. This way if a sound is not used it can be deleted or renamed once. Maybe a sound container?

I'm asking because I play/create sounds a lot and look for ones that fit. So I'm constantly replacing sounds.

Also, it would be great to right click on a sound and "replace sound with...' similar to replacing images in the animation editor.

My thoughts at the moment after going through a series of sounds.

• For clarity's sake, I understand the need for three different sound formats. My concern is more on keeping the projects list cleaner and less confusing.

Currently, to delete a sound file, each common named sound file (.wav, .ogg and .m4a with same filename) has to be deleted one at a time. There's no way to multiselect them to delete.

It would be nice to have a single sound name representative of all three formats.

Hopefully that makes clearer sense.

• Ashley Is there a reason why an imported sound is listed three times, each with a different extention? Any imported sounds will have all three types anyway. Am I correct?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the root name of the sound only. This way if a sound is not used it can be deleted or renamed once. Maybe a sound container?

I'm asking because I play/create sounds a lot and look for ones that fit. So I'm constantly replacing sounds.

Also, it would be great to right click on a sound and "replace sound with...' similar to replacing images in the animation editor.

My thoughts at the moment after going through a series of sounds.

I would like the "Replace sound with..." action too.

• Can't you just delete them from the final export folder?

Sorting the folder by file type should make it even simpler.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Can't you just delete them from the final export folder?

Sorting the folder by file type should make it even simpler.

I like to work from .capx since it's nice and tidy.

Tried your suggestion, but it didn't work. I saved the capx file as a project folder, found and deleted the audio file and it's variants.

Now when I open the .caproj I get a Construct 2 check failure.

Also tried renaming the .capx to .zip and delete the audio files that way. Renamed back to .capx after deletion but get the same error when trying to open.

• Well that wont work you have to get into the xml and edit it, but see the part where I said final export?

• True.

I guess I'm used to my video editing ways where I can select a file and replace. C2 seems almost there. You can do that with the images but not with sound. Would rather stay within the project rather than go outside as a solution.

• Yeah that's uh..not a good workaround, and is unfortunately the answer every single time this is asked.

• I think you can be fairly sure something else is on the massive todo list.

• A work around I'm using is utilizing the "Play (by name)" action instead of using "Play". Of course using this method the sound filenames must be typed in exactly.

Unlike the "Play" action, the "Play (by name)" action preserves the event sheet. "Play" will remove event sheet entries if the sound is deleted in the projects list.

With the workaround I can delete a sound and its formats in the projects list and re-import the new one.

Still would be nice to have a simple replace.

• A work around I'm using is utilizing the "Play (by name)" action instead of using "Play". Of course using this method the sound filenames must be typed in exactly.

Unlike the "Play" action, the "Play (by name)" action preserves the event sheet. "Play" will remove event sheet entries if the sound is deleted in the projects list.

With the workaround I can delete a sound and its formats in the projects list and re-import the new one.

Still would be nice to have a simple replace.

bon4ire - thanks for the tip. I hadn't noticed that the event sheet entries are preserved with the "Play (by name)" action if you delete sound files.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)