Why HTML5, and the future of exporters

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 pm

[QUOTE=0plus1] @Pode
I have also coded games in several languages, and surprise, the only one I actually finished has been made in c2.
This is what makes me really angry, I tried all game makers on the market and construct is a masterpiece, easy, intuitive and fast, and I can't accept that such a marvellous tools will be relegated only to prototyping for the opinable (at least in my opinion) choice to support just html5.
I understand that this is a two man operation, but you are really sitting on a goldmine, you could charge 150$ a year for a iOS and the same for an android exporter like your competition is doing and you would sell it like bread. Now is the time where everybody wants to be on the appstore and not on kongregate and I think you should really consider riding the wave..[/QUOTE]

^^ +1

HTML5 definitely have it's place and in a few years might become where Flash games are now. Still...Flash games are a fraction of the monetizing possibilities.
Why just support HTML5 when you can support HTML5, Flash, Android, iOS ?
I understand that this is a big task, but Stencyl is also only 1 or 2 people team. I would seriously prefer to use Construct 2 but I cannot if i can't get my game properly to iOS and Android as well as HTML5.
This is the only thing that keeps me from embracing Construct 2 as a end to end solution. Using different tools to get this done negates the ease of use of Construct and the value for money proposition. I too wont mind paying an extra fee per exporter "plugin" - MMF2 and Stencyl has followed the route.

I also don't want to sound like an @$$, but I think it's better to say it and might hopefully get this features than just keep quiet and go away. I really do love Construct 2 - it's fantastic as an editor. Just a bit limited in export option.

Anyway at the risk of flogging a dying horse...
I also respect Scirra's right NOT to do this and ride bet on HTML5 only.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Despite using other tools and engines, i still love C2 for ease of use, however im really impressed for how HTML5 fast with C2 compared to other similar tools, focusing to provide a best HTML5 game engine is wise for the mean while.

as I already read somewhere, Ashley wont drop out the idea to export to other OS, in fact i believe he will do this when HTML5 features for C2 reach its own limit, just we need to wait and also to support the C2 :)

giving away EXE wrapper , phonegap & AppMobi etc.. i consider them as a salads before the big meal that worth to wait.

even Ashley or Scirra Team will take too long or unable to make new exporters, when they Release EDK, may be someone else are genius enough to release other exporters for C2.prinsukun2012-03-07 14:01:50
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, right now other exporters are not even an option! We're a tiny 2-man team and the HTML5 exporter + runtime has been in development for over a year, and we're still tweaking and adding stuff to it. It's just impossible for us to take on such a large project. Other companies either have more resources, or less features and no third-party plugin system which makes it much easier to write ports since there's a great deal less technical complexity. We're also still too small to safely throw money at the problem and just hire a bunch of people to do it. On top of that, we genuinely think it's only a matter of time before HTML5 is really fast and great for mobile games. We're a little ahead of time, really. And I cannot think of anything worse than spending time we don't have developing iOS/Android native runtimes, then by the time we're done, HTML5 is fast anyway so all that time was wasted. Not only am I happy to wait it out, it's our only option really.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:18 pm

it may be a stupid question, but in current state of construct's sdk, can someone else make an exe exporter for construct?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:42 pm

I'd say, use the basis of CC's builder and go from there.
Can't be that hard. Just incorporate CC in C2. If only my programming knowledge could take me that far. I'd do it for free.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 pm

[quote]but in current state of construct's sdk, can someone else make an exe exporter for construct? [/quote]
I think so. Capx projects are xml so all the info is readily accessible. You just need to re-create the runtime and plugins. All the EDK will do as far as I can see is make the exporter built-in to C2.

Using CC's runtime could be tricky since it's tailored for CC and many features of C2 don't have a one to one correspondence to CC.   
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:10 pm

@Lucid made some kind of "proof of concept" of an exe exporter, he might have more informations about this.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:15 am

[QUOTE=Ashley]And I cannot think of anything worse than spending time we don't have developing iOS/Android native runtimes, then by the time we're done, HTML5 is fast anyway so all that time was wasted. Not only am I happy to wait it out, it's our only option really.[/QUOTE]

It will be always hackish, for native stuff like OpenFeint/Gamecenter, access to the camera and all hardware level operation you'll always have to rely on external API that may or may not work.. And for this reason you have to test it. And testing it (since you don't have access to the code) means exporting->importing into the API (phonegap/appmobi/whatever)->testing->repeat until it works.

I can't really see myself doing this.. The only way to go for mobile app is native unless apple decide to open its hardware to js (which is like hoping it will snow in the desert).

I think you should really consider at least giving us the option to add custom code, not using plugins but coding directly into c2 (like Stencyl) to open a little our options..
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 am

[QUOTE=0plus1]I think you should really consider at least giving us the option to add custom code, not using plugins but coding directly into c2 (like Stencyl) to open a little our options..[/QUOTE]

@0plus1

It's not easy under current C2 architecture,I thought.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:08 pm

I think it's perfectly feasible to make a c2 project converter to an alternate engine, on a piece by piece basis. Once I can establish some type of stability with my business situation and get some free-time back, it's a project I'd like to try my hand at.

To make a full runtime for c2 would take a very very long time, but making something piece by piece - starting of course with sprite object, some system ACE's, text object, and then mouse/touch object - you'd have something useful to play with as you developed it further.
The proof of concept kyat mentioned is in this thread.

It doesn't do much, but it shows that it's very simple to throw together something that converts C2 xml to some target language code. Depending on the platform, you usually won't even need a full plugin system. You can include the modules manually, or have the conversion application add the code needed to include the additional files.     
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General