Why is Pixel art used SO much?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 am

These are good answers. Thanks. Really was just wondering what was the reasoning behind it. I like it! I wouldn't mind seeing more variety in art styles tho, I cannot lie about that
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:46 am

I like pixel art because of the aesthetics and because I have complete control over each pixel. I also enjoy working under color and space limitations
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:18 pm

^^ When i was a child , the first game i played is game with pixel art graphic, and i still love pixel game, maybe it's kind of remind me about childhood :D
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:57 pm

I've seen lot of people do pixel art in games and have some hi-res smooth rotations and stuff in them. This is when i'm asking the same question.

I don't like too simple pixel art as it's in Super Mario 1. I like more how things look in Super Mario 3.

In 90's I used to do long animations with this icon software called Microangelo. It was fun to see how just one pixel can change the whole thing.

I think people like to do pixel art for the same reasons as people like to draw manga and make things look Japanese. In the end most of these drawings just look awful. nemo2012-09-22 19:00:04
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:34 pm

All in all, I think EmpororIng has the most common answer (Even if that's not the case in this thread).

The other ways of making 2D art involve either buying some expensive stuff such as a decent tablet and Photoshop... or it involves the masochistic practice of drawing on paper, scanning it into a program, and then coloring it in. And just praying that your scanner picks up every line drawn perfectly.

Pixels, on the other hand, are completely native to computers and therefore are bound to be the most common type of drawing in programs. There's tons of free stuff out there that concentrate on this, and that's probably why you see so much of it now.

As for me? I like drawing pixel art because it feels like I have the most control. If I see a mistake or feel my sprite looks bad, it's very easy to edit and I can do it with far more precision than I can with the eraser tool in photoshop or GIMP.

I must admit though, it's very hard for pixel art to stand up to the more popular forms of 2D art today.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:43 pm

great answer Jim15. Looking at it that way makes a ton of sense.

I fall into the category of the people that draw everything by hand, scan it into photoshop and color. But i could see why others wouldnt want to do that. But overall, it's not really that bad once you get a workflow going.

Editing sprites is probably my biggest problem since that usually means redrawing an entire sprite if it didnt work well with the animation.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic