Why is Stencyl doing better?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:45 am

@jhice, that looks awesome!

Sadly stencyl wants $200 per year to rent it's product. I hope it's excellent and vastly improved because that's quite a big ask...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:07 am

PS : to avoid confusion, Turbulenz is a game engine written in Javascript, with a heavy SDK much like Unreal Engine SDK (but with no graphic editor), nothing comparable to Stencyl or C2 :)

Concerning the costs of each solution, I dont think it's a barrier in the case you want to monetize your game and try to do it. It is a false problem, but for others it could be important I agree with that. Like a craftsman, you've got to buy the tools you need and if this tools are a bit expensive, one day you can get them anyway :)
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 am

I did have some interest in trying out the new Stencyl and had been waiting a LONG time for it to come out. Mainly interested in it since it now has the OpenFL/Haxe backend , which potentially should give it excellent performance. However after just trying the new demo, I have totally lost interest!

Try opening up the basic platformer (2 sprites and one level) and compile it to a Windows .exe. It takes forever for such a simple game. Imagine trying to create a game and the continual waits every time you need to test your game. It would drive me nuts. And to compound this, having a subscription fee is ludicrous for a lone developer. Bad enough Adobe having only a subscription scheme, but for a one-man-band? Add to that, the Scratch "inspired" visual scripting and I have been turned off forever. C2 runs rings around this if you are after a visual coding approach.

Which is a good thing, since I have my hands full with projects in C2 , GMS and currently learning the new Godot Engine (which I was going to start a thread here about, as no one seems to have mentioned it here yet). Too many engines often lead to too many choices...you need to pick your weapons and stick to them :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:59 am

I had a look at what they call their "best games", and they're all arcades. This tells me the program is limited in depth.
But hey, I guess that's what many people want, so good luck to them.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:56 pm

last time I heard, Stencyl doesn't support exporting to HTML5 anymore (at least not officially). That's another reason to consider before going with Stencyl if you still want to go with HTML5 route.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic