Why is the Debug APK so jittery

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
  • I love the speed in which you can create a working APK to test on a phone, but when installed it runs very jittery, it lags, slows down etc. The app runs perfectly on remote preview, there are no optimisation issues. I am exporting/building using built in debug APK option on C3.

This same problem was reported here some months ago https://www.scirra.com/forum/cordova-stuttering-on-android_t191976?&start=20&hilit=debug+apk The fix was to give the option to create android and ios builds separately. However, I am using just the android option but experiencing the exact same slow down/lag in the APK when running on my phone.

Why does the Debug APK run like this, it makes my game unplayable. Is there something I can change?

Is there a different method for building an APK that I can test on my android device (one that is quick like the built in C3 export option). The only other build program I have experience with is Intel XDK but the build function is no longer available.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated

• I love the speed in which you can create a working APK to test on a phone, but when installed it runs very jittery, it lags, slows down etc. The app runs perfectly on remote preview, there are no optimisation issues. I am exporting/building using built in debug APK option on C3.

This same problem was reported here some months ago https://www.scirra.com/forum/cordova-stuttering-on-android_t191976?&start=20&hilit=debug+apk The fix was to give the option to create android and ios builds separately. However, I am using just the android option but experiencing the exact same slow down/lag in the APK when running on my phone.

Why does the Debug APK run like this, it makes my game unplayable. Is there something I can change?

Is there a different method for building an APK that I can test on my android device (one that is quick like the built in C3 export option). The only other build program I have experience with is Intel XDK but the build function is no longer available.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated

you can build easily with Cordova CLI, it's not complicated when you realize how they work, and for "debug apk" versions is even more easy then "signed" apks

• Thanks NN81 I spent a full day yesterday learning new compilers to see if I could get a build from Construct 3 but I had nothing but errors when trying to compile using Cordova CLI, also no success with phonegap from the C3 project. I did some testing to find out what the problem is, and to me it seems C3 export/build is causing the lag in game (When the project is a .c3p file). I switched over to C3 a week ago from C2 and carried on building my game in C3. I took my most recent C2 copy of the game and built using C3 export and the debug APK runs sweet.

Unless someone from Scirra can reassure me that release APKs won't have this same problem, I am faced with finishing my game in C2 because this lag doesn't exist when it's built using C3 build server.

I also tried Cocoon which successfully compiled my C2 game and produced a smooth debug APK. Cocoon did not complete any builds of my C3 game at all, always saying that it couldn't read the config.xml file

I just don't get why the lag is present when the project is compiled from C3, but it runs super smooth when built from a C2 project.

I really want to continue my game in Construct 3 but I am unable to produce a smooth debug APK and also unable to compile a C3 build using Cordova, phonegap and cocoon, all of which give errors.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

• same problem here, i've tried different cellphones (Samsung S3 - S4 - Galaxy CORE) and the performances are poor with debug-apk - running perfect in chrome view......

• i've tried also to compile the apk with cocoon.io service and phonegap and the result is the same as the direct C3 export option..... Any idea to build an usable apk? At the moment i'm stuck with this problem, Intel XDK has stopped the build service but i suppose that in every case the problem is in the cordova update that Ashley is talking about on some post in the forum.... is there anyone that have a workaround to this issue? Thanks and sorry for may bad inglish.

• I also tried Cocoon which successfully compiled my C2 game and produced a smooth debug APK. Cocoon did not complete any builds of my C3 game at all, always saying that it couldn't read the config.xml file

i've followed this guide and i've successfully obtained a debug-apk and an unsigned-apk from a native C3 project, but still with bad performance on ANY cellphone i've tried. Take a look: https://shatter-box.com/knowledgebase/b ... es-cocoon/

• Same here. I get better performance from Cordova CLI, but I prefer the smaller output from C3's debug apk. I'm hoping that Ashley will optimize the C3's debug/release apk before releasing the first release candidate for Construct 3.

• When my game is run in remote preview on construct 3 and tested on my phone it runs like a dream. Why does it slow down and lag in the exported debug APK version. Can anyone from Scirra offer advice please?

I opened the example game Glokar in C3 and added touch screen controls to play on my phone, then exported a debug APK. When I play this on my phone there is also noticeable lag. If you try this you can see jumpiness/slowdown in the objects that move on the title screen, - this gives me confidence that it's not my game causing lag but something to do with the built APK.

• There is this bug report https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/467. Unfortunately it has not been updated since July and still has a 'can't reproduce' label.

I believe that this is a major bug. Ashley can you update us on the issue.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • nothing about this issue in the .66 release.... Ashley can you update us on the issue please?

• The issue is marked 'can't reproduce', meaning it doesn't happen on the devices we've tested. There's probably something device-specific about it. As the last comment indicates the next step is to figure out which Cordova version is affected, but since we can't see it happening, that's up to someone who can see the issue. And from the looks of it, nobody's testing that so far, since the bug report has gone quiet. If you want this to progress it would be useful if others who can see the issue can get involved with that bug report and find out any of the necessary information.

• I am actually having the opposite problem, and I posted something last light about it looking for help.

What I am seeing is the system preview, and APK working perfectly, but the remote preview is the one with lag problems switching between layouts (sometimes 5 seconds when it should be instant) and timing trigger issues. The wait related triggers were giving me very unpredictable results only seen in the remote preview. When I increased the wait time by a tiny bit, the trigger problems went away.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)