Why is there no option to set engine FPS/tic rate?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Ashley wrote:I don't always keep the same view over time - my view of things tends to evolve with the technology, so bear that in mind when quoting my posts from a few years ago. Also BTW it's kind of annoying to see people asserting that they know what I'm going to say, especially when they're wrong :P

tl;dr: star this Chrome issue: http://crbug.com/522983

My thoughts on this are:

Performance: I'm not convinced it makes sense to do this because the game might not reach 60 FPS. Modern mobile devices are about as powerful as laptops. Having one master switch to drop to 30 FPS on all devices is overkill IMO. I stand by this aspect of my previous post: if you are doing this to improve the user experience, then dropping a device that could easily reach 60 FPS to 30 FPS actually degrades the experience.

Now that is what I call a nice informative response, thank you for that @Ashley ! :)
Please provide information like this (even if it seems to be just useless information for you) in every response, especially in feature suggestions.

Ashley wrote:Also BTW it's kind of annoying to see people asserting that they know what I'm going to say, especially when they're wrong

Yeah the most of us (including myself) just want to see valid reasons with information about previous attempts or something like that, so we know were we're at.
To be honest, after seeing the almost same response to several topics like this one I did assume that you
simply tried it once then just threw it aside because it didn't work well at that time. (I guess I was wrong. :P )
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:01 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:Now that is what I call a nice informative response, thank you for that @Ashley ! :)
Please provide information like this (even if it seems to be just useless information for you) in every response, especially in feature suggestions.

Indeed, thank you @Ashley . It's good to know the informations behind these limitations.

Ashley wrote:Based on that, I already made the case for this feature to some of the Chrome developers (making some of the same arguments people are giving here!), and you can star this bug to vote on the suggestion. Until then, there's not much we can do to actually support this.

+1 star for that bug.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Ashley wrote:Performance: I'm not convinced it makes sense to do this because the game might not reach 60 FPS. Modern mobile devices are about as powerful as laptops. Having one master switch to drop to 30 FPS on all devices is overkill IMO. I stand by this aspect of my previous post: if you are doing this to improve the user experience, then dropping a device that could easily reach 60 FPS to 30 FPS actually degrades the experience.

Here's the thing, let us be the judge, if the tool can do it, let us decide what's better for our games. It's an entirely different matter if the engine cannot do it, in this case, it looks like a browser conflict is preventing you from getting it done, as I said, fair enough.

Ashley wrote:Battery life: I think the argument here is better, although I would be interested to see actual data on the battery life savings. As far as I'm aware the screen is one of the biggest battery drain on mobile devices, so if the screen is on for the same amount of time at the same brightness, that part of the battery drain is identical regardless of how intensively the game is running.

Mobile SOCs loaded will burn through the battery much faster than the screen display. Example that really highlights this: play a video, an iPhone 6 Plus lasts for ~8 hours or more. The screen is on, but not much of the CPU/GPU is being used (just a dedicated decoder part of the SOC).

Now, load up an intensive game that loads the CPU/GPU, something like XCOM, watch that iPhone 6 Plus dead in battery in ~2 hours, while running very hot.

For the record, my game (link in signature), stripped of many effects, lowered on particles, removed shaders, optimized AI, on the iPhone 6 Plus Safari drains the battery in ~2 hours also. The PC version runs 60 fps on old Intel Graphics laptops from 2007. According to cpuutilisation, on my PC it loads ~20-35% of the single-thread. On iPhone 6 Plus Safari, it's ~60-90%, so it's hitting peak CPU usage during big battles.

Mobiles have incredible specs, on paper. But as soon as you try to extract peak performance out of them, their slim designs mean they get very hot and power usage increases. This is true for all mobile games, where developers never aim to fully load the SOC due to this reason.

This is a major concern for mobile gamers, if it's possible to lower CPU/GPU load % to achieve a steady state fluid experience, then it's something beneficial.

Would I trade 60 fps and get a steady 30 fps if it means my mobile device is now just warm, not hot, and battery life is near doubled? Yes I would. But give me that choice if possible.

Again, thanks for trying and looking into it. Sadly it's inherently linked to browsers and Chromium is the issue. :(

How does Safari treat vsync or half v-sync?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:21 pm

We should be able to lock to any frame rate we want imho. Turn base rouge like could easily run 15-20 fps to be fully playable.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:50 am

Silverforce wrote:Here's the thing, let us be the judge, if the tool can do it, let us decide what's better for our games. It's an entirely different matter if the engine cannot do it, in this case, it looks like a browser conflict is preventing you from getting it done, as I said, fair enough.

I can't agree more.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:18 pm

wow, i think its awesome that the chromium team is looking into that :)

but i cant believe there arent over 100 stars yet on this bug report, this thread has been viewed a few hundred times

everyone should star this! :) http://crbug.com/522983
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:34 am

glerikud wrote:
Silverforce wrote:Here's the thing, let us be the judge, if the tool can do it, let us decide what's better for our games. It's an entirely different matter if the engine cannot do it, in this case, it looks like a browser conflict is preventing you from getting it done, as I said, fair enough.

I can't agree more.

Plus one.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:44 pm

why is nobody starring this?? dont you people want to set FPS the way you want? :D
http://crbug.com/522983
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:24 am

@Ashley looks like this bug closed https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=522983 maybe we can see fps lock in next Beta or something?
Creator of MiniDayZ
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:31 am

No, it's not implemented, they just moved it to this bug instead: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=485600
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General