Why Microsoft is screwing up gaming on their platform

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Well, that's good to know and slightly disappointing. The cost barrier isn't high upgrading to Windows 8, but it's also a head ache if you're anal like I am. When do full OS upgrades I prefer to do a full wipe. The upgrade flow from Windows 8 to 8.1 essentially does this so I;m pretty cool with that. But digressing, I can understand @PhoenixNightly opinion of not wanting to upgrade. Some people may not have the money to spend. Others may be waiting to buy a new PC. Whatever the case, Microsoft is limiting developer support by doing this. I suppose that is a debate for another thread though and outside the scope of this one. As a tip though, most colleges have a partnership with Microsoft. If a student is in school for a computer something degree (Eg. Computer science, Computer information systems, It administration, etc...), that student will almost certainly have access to a free dreamspark account. I got VS studio 2013 pro and a second copy of Windows 8 for free this way. Also, if I remember right, students irregardless can get a free dreamspark and dev account if they sign up with a school email account. It's been a few years since I've looked at that so that may not be the case anymore.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:50 pm

PhoenixNightly wrote:Like a googleChrome book I have no interest in getting because none of my software would work on it so even though it might be good but they should have some way of running windows based software.

Chromebooks isn't a full PC. Basically, all it was designed to do is web browsing, and a few simple word docs. Chrome really does fail here.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Visual Studio 2013 supports the Phone projects out of the box with no need to install the phone specific visual studio build.

HTML5 games on Windows 8/8.1 DO NOT support the game pad. Internet explorer does not support the GamePad API and it is the underlying engine for rendering HTML5 games on Windows 8/8.1. They are pushing Touchscreen as opposed to controller. I have spoken to some of the Evangelists for HTML5 and that is the focus on windows 8 for games is touch integration. Unless someone has some clever plugin to get the GamePad API to work in IE, then you are pretty much hosed there.

On another bright note though, Windows Phone 8.1 will finally support WebGL so at least WP8 games will now be more realistic.

And to the points of "Why do I need to use windows 8 to develop for windows 8?"... that is a very lazy approach. If you want to develop for a platform you need to be able to test and debug and test some more on that platform.

Telling Microsoft not to charge for their OS is like telling Chevron not to Charge you for Gas, or Baskin Robbins not to charge you for Ice Cream...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Also a GREAT resource for anyone with a startup (LLC, S-Corp, etc...) can sign up to be part of Microsoft's BizSpark program. This is what I did. They give you all their products for free for 3 years so you can write apps, etc... they also provide a lot of other benefits like connecting you with investors, etc.... I definitely recommend it: http://www.BizSpark.com

This also includes covering the cost of the windows 8 and windows phone store memberships and gives you all their development tools, OS, etc...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:02 am

@Aurora Australis
Yes disappointing when I first heard I thought of an actual computer for production

@mepis
Well I have just been given the memo that my dear computer is on its final legs...so fate is twisting my arm.

@BluePhaze
Great share!! The I will check out when I get a chance.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:26 pm

@BluePhaze

Welp, in the terms of Construct, you have made my points invalid. I thank you for the information. I was not aware that IE did not support the controller API. I thought it had. That's rather disappointing.

I understand companies want to push touch as the primary mechanism for input on mobile devices, but the lack of tactile feedback is limiting at best with mobile games. It's forcing developers to redesign input methods. That's not a bad thing, but I still haven't seen a good way to provide input for genres like action or adventure games. Perhaps many of us are to stuck in the old ways of the D-pad and such. Even Apple has recognized this to some extent.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Previous

Return to Open Topic