Why not OpenGL?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Hi. I've just found informations about your project, but I'm not fully happy about that it itsn't portable - eg. I think it would be based on OpenGL, not DirectX, and do not use the Visual C++...

As I can see, it's an Open Source, Free (as a freedom) aplication, so It would be cool if it would support the free systems...

It might be an advantage over the Multimedia Fusion, for example, but as I can see, it's based on Microsoft ideas... I know, I know that the free-systems users is the very low percentage, but It would be a full-valor Open Source...

Why haven't you done it that way?

• DirectX is free as i presume so whats the problem? *looks at mac* hmmmm... like they say "We can run windows!" xDDD

• Well, OpenGL is more free than DirectX in a sense... It's an open standard, whereas DirectX isn't so much...

It would be much easier to port OpenGL to linux, Mac, and some mobile devices...

But as Construct is open source, someone could eventually do it...

• Maybe Ashley will make OpenGL version after 1.0 (but its highly unlikely)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • One of the biggest misconceptions about open-source is that is an embodiment of freedom. While OpenGL is great, so is DirectX, and like Doppel points out neither of them are costing you any of your freedoms, financially or otherwise. When it comes down to it, it remains the freewill and choices of the developers to use whatever they want.

The fact that the free countries of the world can manage both open- and closed-sourced in the same market with each providing honest competition to the other is a testament to the wonders of this latest generation. Your argument here is entirely wrapped around your hatred for Microsoft - a poor and porous resolve at best.

• As I can see, it's an Open Source, Free (as a freedom) aplication, so It would be cool if it would support the free systems...

You should have stuck with this argument rather than go all

Portability would be nice. There's already been some discussion about it. I suggest searching the forums...

• It's open source... start looking for someone to consider it while Ashley does directx.

• OpenGL runtime is an idea for the future, but... yeah, Linux and all that is a tiny proportion of users, and I've always been a Windows user... so I'm not going to hurry in to any open platform stuff

• you can use directX on linux.

if youre a linux user you know about wine. although its not exactly 100% stable, its out there.

• Yep, all linux users should... Especially since in many cases, Wine offers better performance in Windows Apps than Windows itself does...

(it's partially due to the fact that Windows has release deadlines, and Wine doesn't)

• Yep, all linux users should... Especially since in many cases, Wine offers better performance in Windows Apps than Windows itself does...

(it's partially due to the fact that Windows has release deadlines, and Wine doesn't)

Yeah but wine dont have 100% compatibility with DirectX.

• What happened to the planned SDL runtime?

• It's still in the works and should be around before 1.0.

• > Yep, all linux users should... Especially since in many cases, Wine offers better performance in Windows Apps than Windows itself does...

>

> (it's partially due to the fact that Windows has release deadlines, and Wine doesn't)

>

Yeah but wine dont have 100% compatibility with DirectX.

Yeah I know... but there's a chance it's good enough to run Construct games (haven't bothered trying yet...) Either way, Wine 1.0's focus is on having a few key applications running under Linux... Having DirectX 9 games run as well as they do is really just a nice extra feature...

• If you searched you would see i have spoken out about it quite a few times.

While Windows does have the most market share, Mac & Linux are slowly but surly eating into the share with more and more pc makers choosing to put Linux on their systems too.

Sorry Ahsley but saying OpenGL is not good for the future isn't the best statement ever, since it is open, portable etc etc. DirectX is the true not so good decision for the future.

If Vista is anything to go by...well...you know what i am saying.

Wine is not a good option, it really annoys me when people just chuck Wine in as a reason not to port something or to not use something that is portable.

That all said i still think construct is awesome and am not meaning to put anyone down, just portability is good.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)