Why not OpenGL?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:52 pm

[quote="ssbfalcon":8vfshyie]Yep, all linux users should... Especially since in many cases, Wine offers better performance in Windows Apps than Windows itself does...

(it's partially due to the fact that Windows has release deadlines, and Wine doesn't)[/quote:8vfshyie]
Yeah but wine dont have 100% compatibility with DirectX.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:44 pm

What happened to the planned SDL runtime?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:58 pm

It's still in the works and should be around before 1.0.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:20 am

[quote="Doppel":22055btv][quote="ssbfalcon":22055btv]Yep, all linux users should... Especially since in many cases, Wine offers better performance in Windows Apps than Windows itself does...

(it's partially due to the fact that Windows has release deadlines, and Wine doesn't)[/quote:22055btv]
Yeah but wine dont have 100% compatibility with DirectX.[/quote:22055btv]

Yeah I know... but there's a chance it's good enough to run Construct games (haven't bothered trying yet...) Either way, Wine 1.0's focus is on having a few key applications running under Linux... Having DirectX 9 games run as well as they do is really just a nice extra feature...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:58 pm

If you searched you would see i have spoken out about it quite a few times.

While Windows does have the most market share, Mac & Linux are slowly but surly eating into the share with more and more pc makers choosing to put Linux on their systems too.

Sorry Ahsley but saying OpenGL is not good for the future isn't the best statement ever, since it is open, portable etc etc. DirectX is the true not so good decision for the future.

If Vista is anything to go by...well...you know what i am saying.

Wine is not a good option, it really annoys me when people just chuck Wine in as a reason not to port something or to not use something that is portable.

That all said i still think construct is awesome and am not meaning to put anyone down, just portability is good.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote="liamdawe":2ut4ialg]That all said i still think construct is awesome and am not meaning to put anyone down, just portability is good.[/quote:2ut4ialg]

Of course it is. However, like it or not, DirectX is far more supported and used. It makes more sense to get DirectX working 110% before starting another API.

As for Vista, you're speaking as if there won't be a windows again down the road, and who is to say that won't be the most popular one yet?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:30 pm

I know i am with you 100% on what you say.
DirectX has financial backing and windows behind it, i dont doubt it is really good, but OpenGL is portable and has all the worlds open source programmers available to lend a hand remember.

I agree one API should be finished before another started.
Which made me twig, it would be easier to add a new API and depending on operating system use the correct API than to change the whole application to work for another operating system.

So it is not impossible, just not likely from any point of view till after the 1.0 release.
I still and will always stick by Ashely for his decision.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:59 pm

[quote:23idjm99]saying OpenGL is not good for the future isn't the best statement ever[/quote:23idjm99]

I didn't say it wasn't a good idea for the future, I said it was an idea for the future. As things stand, Windows is 90% of the market and Linux etc take up the minority. *If* that changed to 90% Linux and Windows became the minority (which won't happen quickly), obviously then I'd go and write a linux/opengl runtime! I'd probably be using linux myself by the time it grabbed a 90% market share.

As things stand though, Windows keeps the majority market share and I'm not going to pre-empt major, significant shifts in the IT sector by going ahead and supporting Linux and OpenGL immediately. Nobody knows for sure what would happen - it's possible Linux even eventually fades and dies away! Then I'd have wasted a lot of my precious time wouldn't I? Given that there's plenty of other things to be getting on with in the DirectX/Windows Construct, it seems plainly obvious to me to wait until the Windows version is substantially matured.

This isn't to say it'd never be done - just that once we've got as much of the Windows market as we're going to get and we're still looking to expand, then it becomes an option.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:14 am

Also, I have to say... OpenGL is a lot harder to code with than DirectX... plus it is far inferior when it comes to certain draw modes/effects as DirectX has modules already made to support certain features. OpenGL is certainly capable of doing the same things as DirectX, but it is WAY harder to achieve.
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:54 am

Edit: oops. Nevermind.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion