Why not OpenGL?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:48 am

[quote="SoldjahBoy":2ohcodsl]Also, I have to say... OpenGL is a lot harder to code with than DirectX... plus it is far inferior when it comes to certain draw modes/effects as DirectX has modules already made to support certain features. OpenGL is certainly capable of doing the same things as DirectX, but it is WAY harder to achieve.[/quote:2ohcodsl]

Well they seem to do pretty well with quake 4, doom3, enemy territory, quake wars...list goes on...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:03 pm

@liamdawe - sure they do, want to create opengl construct =D?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:09 pm

[quote="Doppel":25oq1fl6]@liamdawe - sure they do, want to create opengl construct =D?[/quote:25oq1fl6]

If i could program for desktop rather than for web i would join the project and give it a go.
Note to you > your not being smart by saying crap :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Maybe but your not convincing enough :P, and i just asked if you want to create a opengl version if you like it so much, asking is bad D:?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:35 pm

[quote="Doppel":10tfk1fg]Maybe but your not convincing enough :P, and i just asked if you want to create a opengl version if you like it so much, asking is bad D:?[/quote:10tfk1fg]

Sorry the way you said it made me think about all other open source project when someone like myself and others ask for or about things some idiots come along and say "write a patch" its like if i could i would and not ask.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:39 am

[quote="liamdawe":1i932htr][quote="SoldjahBoy":1i932htr]Also, I have to say... OpenGL is a lot harder to code with than DirectX... plus it is far inferior when it comes to certain draw modes/effects as DirectX has modules already made to support certain features. OpenGL is certainly capable of doing the same things as DirectX, but it is WAY harder to achieve.[/quote:1i932htr]

Well they seem to do pretty well with quake 4, doom3, enemy territory, quake wars...list goes on...[/quote:1i932htr]
I did say "OpenGL is certainly capable of doing the same things as DirectX, but it is WAY harder to achieve."

But also note how much worse the performance of those games were at time of release compared to everything else on the market... I mean, they run fine now with the crazy hardware available, but back when doom3 came out it ran pretty well like garbage on even a high end gaming computer. It did look super sexy though...
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:27 am

[quote="liamdawe":34hel12y]Well they seem to do pretty well with quake 4, doom3, enemy territory, quake wars...list goes on...[/quote:34hel12y]

Quake 4 = Doom 3 Engine
Doom 3 = Doom 3 Engine
Enemy Territory = Modified Doom 3 Engine

So what you're really showing, is that John Carmack of Id Software is good with OpenGL.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am

mega lolz.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 am

I don't really care, games like it show what OpenGL is capable of, and all new bad ass games that come out suck up computer specs, just because it's OpenGL means nothing.

Take a look at crysis theres an example of directx sucking up resources like mad.

And i think this discussion has gone on long enough, we all know Ashleys position on this,so lets just support him through a good release of 1.0 hehe :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:40 am

Although Direct-X is what's been written, don't forget that there is an SDL renderer in the works, which supports OpenGL very easily.

The discussion about which is better depends on what you're talking about, a rough idea is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... d_Direct3D

OpenGL is harder to work with programatically; but there really isn't much difference in rendering speeds.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion