Wii U plugin - Nintendo not responding?

Ideas and discussion about publishing and distributing your games

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 2:19 pm

Take the example of Super Ubi Land. Nintendo would not accept it because the word Ubi also happens to be in the name of another company. Even though there was no relation. They made Notion games change it to Super Ubie Land and even after that they asked for another name change to change Ubie again to something else. They are that cautious.

Pokémon is even more of a hot button for them because Pokémon is a Nintendo property. They own it. If they won't allow someone to put a game on their system because the name is similar to another companies name, you have to assume there is no way they would ever allow a game that use their characters and their IP on their system. They are VERY aggressive on protecting their IP (Intellectual Property). As I said, one of my friends and former colleagues left Microsoft to be a laywer for Pokémon at Nintendo. They have a whole legal department with their own lawyers just for Pokémon.

None of this is meant to be rude, it is a discussion of the facts of how business works. There is no insult to you, no negative comments aimed at you. There is nothing wrong with making a Pokémon fan game, you just have to realize the Nintendo systems are the last place you are likely to ever see one get published since it is Nintendos property.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 pm

No offense, this game contains "Pokemon" word in screenshot, they would definetly refuse due to copyright, you need to learn about legal.

Nintendo, is like dealing with a devil. I suggest you need to learn the advices from other developers who were accepted by Nintendo.

As a developer who was accepted by Nintendo, I can confirm that dealing with Nintendo is not like dealing with a devil. :|

Also to publish games you're going to need to be over 18 years old and probably have your own company, you also have to make everything yourself (it has to be all your property, both the assets and the IP). Just saying.
B
S

Post » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:31 am

Nintendo doesn't require that you have ANY prior experience to get accepted into the program. Look at me, I never made a game in my life and was among the first in the program. Now I have a published title and 4 more on the way this year alone. Nintendo takes a few months to get back to you, but please be patient as it is very worth it.

-Mike
MIKE ASCHENBRENNER | RCMADIAX
Twitter/Instagram/Vine: @RCMADIAX
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:59 pm

I've been out of the loop for a while, you just ask Nintendo for a plug in and just wait? Or do you send them like a demo reel or something? And you still have to purchase a dev kit correct?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:06 am

Your game has assets from Pokemon, Hatsune Miku, My Little Pony, and uses imagery of the sea shepherd organisation.

That is just what I recognise, Nintendo would probably only ever respond with a Cease and Desist, and if they ever put it up on their store they would themselves receive one from Hasbro, Crypton Future media, Yamaha and the Sea Shepherd organisation.

End of the day @DialgaBrite, its really not an issue using ripped assets for personal games, but once you try to put it onto a digital storefront (Paid or Free) it becomes a legal issue

@GG-Works
In the case of Construct 2, you submit this form to nintendo https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/signup/
Once and If they reply accepting your game, Scirra will give you the Wii U plugin, most likely under a Non Disclosure Agreement so that you can export it for the Wii U
B
S

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:39 pm

serpent wrote:
@GG-Works
In the case of Construct 2, you submit this form to nintendo https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/signup/
Once and If they reply accepting your game, Scirra will give you the Wii U plugin, most likely under a Non Disclosure Agreement so that you can export it for the Wii U

Oh! many thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:13 pm

For me it took about 1 month to get approved :)
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:59 pm

-edit-
Last edited by Whiteclaws on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:59 pm

If they're not responding, it's maybe because they didn't read your request or your game doesn't fit the criterias, or they just don't want your game because they think it's not high enough quality
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 pm

It took about 2.5 months for me to hear back from them. They apologized it took so long, but they were super nice, helpful, and easy about the whole approval and nda process.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Distribution and Publishing