Wikileaks

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:55 pm

I would believe the "lives in danger" argument, but I can't see any evidence that this is actually the case. Who's life has been put in danger? Has anyone directly been killed or injured by leaks?

The goal is open, honest and accountable government - a worthy cause. Some of the content may look risky, but it is worth the risk for that goal, and without any evidence, "lives in danger" just sounds like the line delivered by the governments who are scared stiff.

As for Assange - is it important if he's a douche? I haven't judged him that way myself, but even if he's trying to do the right thing for the wrong reasons, he's still trying to do the right thing.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Well said, Ashley.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:03 pm

[quote="Ashley":3r25xtmm]and without any evidence, "lives in danger" just sounds like the line delivered by the governments who are scared stiff.[/quote:3r25xtmm]
Well, considering that my post supported the WikiLeaks site, and all the embarrassment it causes those who are up to no good, it's strange that you should hook on to the one thing that I think WikiLeaks has got wrong.

You almost make it sound like I don't support the whistle-blowing.
I even had to check my post again, in case I'd worded it wrong and given that impression.
Very strange Ash.

And are you really saying that locations of previously unknown military bases or private conversations concerning things like North Korea aren't going to be dangerous?
That's just naive.

Freedom of speech is one thing, but it can never be absolute.
Are you happy with people reading every conversation you've had in the last week? lol

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:24 pm

I think this is less about the message, and more about the way, and the reason it's being delivered.
It's one thing to be a whistle blower, quite another to get up on the soapbox, and try to instill terrorism.

Everybody's herd of "Don't kill the messenger, cause you don't like the message" , and the fact that Assange is trying to hide behind that is what makes him a douche.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:34 pm

[quote="KrushBrother":2d0bixuy]The problem is that some of the information is going to be dangerous to some people, and the locations of secure locations should not be released if it puts people in danger, whether they're military or not.[/quote:2d0bixuy]

[quote="Ashley":2d0bixuy]I would believe the "lives in danger" argument, but I can't see any evidence that this is actually the case. Who's life has been put in danger? Has anyone directly been killed or injured by leaks?[/quote:2d0bixuy]

If I recall correctly, Wikileaks voluntarily redacted the names of informants and operatives that might be put in danger due to the leak, and that at least is to their credit.

And I'm not terribly familiar with all of the material that has been leaked, but in my opinion the most damning bits of information so far have been that the Saudi King was basically begging the U.S. to attack Iran, and Pakistan has been double-dealing with the Taliban.

[quote="Ashley":2d0bixuy]The goal is open, honest and accountable government - a worthy cause. .. even if he's trying to do the right thing for the wrong reasons, he's still trying to do the right thing.[/quote:2d0bixuy]

It is definitely a worthy cause. And I'd be inclined to overlook his personal motives if the recent leak had done anything but kick the hornet's nest. But it seems to me that kicking the hornet's nest is all he's really interested in, and the "worthy cause" is simply a convenient justification for it. Of course I can't know that for certain, it's just the impression I get from the man.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:40 am

Apparently, Assnage isn't actually an eccentric egomanic, contrary to reports...

[quote:1710ftep]As for Assange, he is an impressive figure. Highly intelligent, articulate and deeply committed to his cause. And he certainly isn't in it for the money. For someone under immense pressure he was remarkably calm, focused and measured.

Contrary to reports that he is an eccentric egomaniac, he gave every appearance of being good-tempered and humoured, ready to discuss issues and carefully consider advice. He is certainly a strategic thinker with a fair amount of political and media nous that has turned his organisation into a global phenomenon.

Having entered into talks on the basis of confidentiality, I will not repeat his observations but I found him a highly engaging, thoughtful conversationalist.

He pays close attention to political developments in Australia and has a keen sense of the importance of encouraging more openness.[/quote:1710ftep]

That article is certainly an interesting read on Assnage and how WikiLeaks operates.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:14 am

this:
[quote:1wj354i4]That and they have the moral memory of a goldfish.[/quote:1wj354i4]

ad that
[quote:1wj354i4]If Assange was chinese, the West would have called him a dissident and awarded him the Nobel Peace prize. The hypocrisy is astounding.[/quote:1wj354i4]

all of them are just a bounch of bipolar self called Robin Hoods with splited personality.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Wikileaks = Boring.Why? , No aliens , Area 51 secrets and no echelon secrets revealed.It's only a bunch of political crap.Wikileaks show us how to make an A-Bomb , now that would be dangerous.
The best part which i liked from wikileaks is how america described my country's president's.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:32 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiLeaks#Leaks

Read this and tell me it all is just political crap.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:40 am

[quote="Mipey":24wmjbra]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiLeaks#Leaks

Read this and tell me it all is just political crap.[/quote:24wmjbra]

I did hmm interessting stuff.But it's still boring.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic