Will getting an SSD improve load times in preview?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi. I currently have a normal harddrive in my computer, but I want to reduce loading times when previewing/debugging as much as possible. Anyone have any experience comparing preview speeds with normal and SSD drives? Would you recommend getting an SSD for this sole purpose if the project is big, and has a lot of files to load?

Thanks
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Do it. You will at least not be disappointed when you play Skyrim with all of them mods ^^
My game Petrolhead Tactics is now on Steam Greenlight. I could not have done this without C2 ? Please rate, if you like!

Steam client already open: petrolheadtactics.com/steam
Web: petrolheadtactics.com/greenlight
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Tinimations wrote:Hi. I currently have a normal harddrive in my computer, but I want to reduce loading times when previewing/debugging as much as possible. Anyone have any experience comparing preview speeds with normal and SSD drives? Would you recommend getting an SSD for this sole purpose if the project is big, and has a lot of files to load?

Thanks

I have a pc with 2 240gb intel ssd's in raid0 and pc with hdd, and i dont see a real difference between them in c2, maybe that's, because my projects are not king-sized, or because on a preview you wait for your project to upload to RAM, anyway, you dont see a big difference in c2, but you see that your pc is working a lot faster with ssd, and thats why i think that you got to get it. Look for intel's 730 series, best thing i ever use.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:34 pm

try previewing your game in internet explorer 11.
It loads my game 5 times faster than chrome.Do not know why....
SSD drives are many many times faster than normal HDD.
The problem in your case is not the actual size of your project(and that is the reason that you will not see any difference in C2 using ssd) but the time it takes to decompress the images to RAM.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:14 pm

@Roccinio So you're saying decompressing the images to RAM will be faster with an SSD? That's the one exact thing i am hoping it will pull off. :P
Hope you can clarify.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:24 pm

No,i said the exact opposite thing.
After the initial data dump (this is where you see the speed difference between ssd and hhd.If your game is less than 100mb then you will see almost no difference since it takes only a few seconds and humans can barely notice the difference between 3 seconds to 2 although in math it is a big percentage of improvement) then the speed of your CPU will determine how fast it will decompress the files and hence how fast the game will load.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Ah I see. Just read it wrong then. Thanks for the insight. Might need to get a new CPU then.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:40 pm

When working with graphics your priorities goes like this (where you should put your money) Ram, CPU and GPU.

Had to add: if you have a decent CPU to start with.
Last edited by Monumental on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game Petrolhead Tactics is now on Steam Greenlight. I could not have done this without C2 ? Please rate, if you like!

Steam client already open: petrolheadtactics.com/steam
Web: petrolheadtactics.com/greenlight
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Well I have plenty of ram and GPU horsepower. My first generation core i7 might start to show its age though.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:59 pm

have you tried running your game using the latest internet explorer?try it and tell me if you see any loading difference
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General