Will getting an SSD improve load times in preview?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Times Table. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • Hi. I currently have a normal harddrive in my computer, but I want to reduce loading times when previewing/debugging as much as possible. Anyone have any experience comparing preview speeds with normal and SSD drives? Would you recommend getting an SSD for this sole purpose if the project is big, and has a lot of files to load?

Thanks

• Do it. You will at least not be disappointed when you play Skyrim with all of them mods ^^

• Hi. I currently have a normal harddrive in my computer, but I want to reduce loading times when previewing/debugging as much as possible. Anyone have any experience comparing preview speeds with normal and SSD drives? Would you recommend getting an SSD for this sole purpose if the project is big, and has a lot of files to load?

Thanks

I have a pc with 2 240gb intel ssd's in raid0 and pc with hdd, and i dont see a real difference between them in c2, maybe that's, because my projects are not king-sized, or because on a preview you wait for your project to upload to RAM, anyway, you dont see a big difference in c2, but you see that your pc is working a lot faster with ssd, and thats why i think that you got to get it. Look for intel's 730 series, best thing i ever use.

• try previewing your game in internet explorer 11.

It loads my game 5 times faster than chrome.Do not know why....

SSD drives are many many times faster than normal HDD.

The problem in your case is not the actual size of your project(and that is the reason that you will not see any difference in C2 using ssd) but the time it takes to decompress the images to RAM.

• Roccinio So you're saying decompressing the images to RAM will be faster with an SSD? That's the one exact thing i am hoping it will pull off.

Hope you can clarify.

• No,i said the exact opposite thing.

After the initial data dump (this is where you see the speed difference between ssd and hhd.If your game is less than 100mb then you will see almost no difference since it takes only a few seconds and humans can barely notice the difference between 3 seconds to 2 although in math it is a big percentage of improvement) then the speed of your CPU will determine how fast it will decompress the files and hence how fast the game will load.

• Ah I see. Just read it wrong then. Thanks for the insight. Might need to get a new CPU then.

• When working with graphics your priorities goes like this (where you should put your money) Ram, CPU and GPU.

Had to add: if you have a decent CPU to start with.

• Well I have plenty of ram and GPU horsepower. My first generation core i7 might start to show its age though.

• have you tried running your game using the latest internet explorer?try it and tell me if you see any loading difference

• Got a new system about a year ago. Pretty good spces: i7 3570k, 16gb ram. Have a dual boot system: windows on an ssd, linux mint on a normal hdd.

While both are fast...windows on ssd is crazy fast. The only thing holding me back from switching linux to an ssd is that I'll probably have to reinstall and reconfigure it, and I just haven't had the wherewithall to do that yet.

Bottom line: 90 percent of the time, on a powerful system with a normal hdd, your bottleneck is the hdd. Raid makes almost no difference compared to ssd because the limitation of hdd's isn't the overall transfer rate, but how quick the hdd can seek to different areas of the drive. This comes in to play when you boot up a program, and it has to load a bunch of different files. SSD's are literally magnitudes faster at this, which is why, for me, chrome with 100 tabs takes about 20 seconds on linux mint, and about 1/2 a second on windows.

• Roccinio Yes. While it seems like the loading went faster, it was never able to boot. Stops halfway through, even when I increased the cache size.

Too me Firefox has currently given off the best results. It always boots, even if the load times can be a bit long.

Internet explorer is always either stuck looking for Localhost or it gets a red loading bar halfway through.

Chrome and webkit are also very unstable. They manage to boot roughly 30 % of the time.

• Nope. I upgraded from an ~8 year old western digital hd to a samsung 840 pro ssd not too long ago and there is no noticeable difference in preview time. Export, save, and load times are better though.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Goodness me! How complex is your game? How long does it take to load?

• Tinimations - how big is your project exactly? What does Construct 2 estimate in the status bar? It sounds like it's huge and the system is running out of memory.

I'm not sure a HDD vs SSD will make a huge difference. Modern OSs use spare RAM to cache regularly used files on disk - regardless of the disk technology - so they don't even need to be physically loaded at all if used regularly. On the other hand if your project has 100mb of images, every preview will need to decompress all of that. Getting a CPU with more cores should help with this, since modern browsers should be able to decode images in parallel across all cores.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)