Will getting an SSD improve load times in preview?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Got a new system about a year ago. Pretty good spces: i7 3570k, 16gb ram. Have a dual boot system: windows on an ssd, linux mint on a normal hdd.

While both are fast...windows on ssd is crazy fast. The only thing holding me back from switching linux to an ssd is that I'll probably have to reinstall and reconfigure it, and I just haven't had the wherewithall to do that yet.

Bottom line: 90 percent of the time, on a powerful system with a normal hdd, your bottleneck is the hdd. Raid makes almost no difference compared to ssd because the limitation of hdd's isn't the overall transfer rate, but how quick the hdd can seek to different areas of the drive. This comes in to play when you boot up a program, and it has to load a bunch of different files. SSD's are literally magnitudes faster at this, which is why, for me, chrome with 100 tabs takes about 20 seconds on linux mint, and about 1/2 a second on windows.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:54 pm

@Roccinio Yes. While it seems like the loading went faster, it was never able to boot. Stops halfway through, even when I increased the cache size.
Too me Firefox has currently given off the best results. It always boots, even if the load times can be a bit long.

Internet explorer is always either stuck looking for Localhost or it gets a red loading bar halfway through.
Chrome and webkit are also very unstable. They manage to boot roughly 30 % of the time.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Nope. I upgraded from an ~8 year old western digital hd to a samsung 840 pro ssd not too long ago and there is no noticeable difference in preview time. Export, save, and load times are better though.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:31 am

Goodness me! How complex is your game? How long does it take to load?
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:17 pm

@Tinimations - how big is your project exactly? What does Construct 2 estimate in the status bar? It sounds like it's huge and the system is running out of memory.

I'm not sure a HDD vs SSD will make a huge difference. Modern OSs use spare RAM to cache regularly used files on disk - regardless of the disk technology - so they don't even need to be physically loaded at all if used regularly. On the other hand if your project has 100mb of images, every preview will need to decompress all of that. Getting a CPU with more cores should help with this, since modern browsers should be able to decode images in parallel across all cores.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 pm

@ashley
As I haven't done a cleanup on a good amount of assets I'll scrap soon, the approx download size is 263 mb (but the size will still grow), and the memory use 945 mb.
(Must stress that this game is designed for offline desktop computer play)

A blank firefox with only the game running takes between 1-1,3gb of memory (sometimes 2,6gb if I start a preview while another one's in progress). Not sure if this is a result of me simply going overkill on a single level, or that I have done something wrong when assigning assets.

In Firefox the game takes roughly 30 seconds to boot up if there are no issues.
B
S

Post » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Mmmmh, that's kind of a huge project, °_°. All I can say is, with my (really small in comparison) project, preview is instant on my computers, which are all ssd powered.
http://www.schizokoa.com we are a small game jam group, visit us!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:25 pm

945mb on a single level? That's really quite a lot, and is getting into the realm where some systems won't even be able to play your game. Read this: https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remembe ... our-memory
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Yes I am very aware that I should look into optimizing the scenes soon. My aim is getting the game to run at 400-600mb of ram. I just need to cut down on the amount of animated environment assets, and find other more resource-friendly ways of making it look good.
B
S

Post » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Tinimations wrote:Yes I am very aware that I should look into optimizing the scenes soon. My aim is getting the game to run at 400-600mb of ram. I just need to cut down on the amount of animated environment assets, and find other more resource-friendly ways of making it look good.

Try to set the export format to png-8, this will make your project size about 50% less, with minimal loss of quality.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General